Changes are Coming

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, that's terrible.
I wonder if they are doing this because they are pushing the online ordering??

On another note,.........
I built a '22 Dodge Challenger Jailbreak online the other night.
Talk about a bunch of customizations and no limited builds. Pretty ****ing awesome. Plus, with the Direct Connection coming back, I'm sure they will pick up some new buyers.
That car I built was priced out at 97K!

office.gif

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'm no marketing expert but how many people plan their purchases 2-3 months in advance vs impulsive decisions made within a week or two or sooner?

Sounds like the perfect storm for another manufacturer to step up and give people what they want when they want.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm no marketing expert but how many people plan their purchases 2-3 months in advance vs impulsive decisions made within a week or two or sooner?

Sounds like the perfect storm for another manufacturer to step up and give people what they want when they want.

All manufacturers are going to this program.

When it gets stamped out, it won't be 2-3 months wait...it'll be 1.

There are A LOT of people that will wait 1 month to get the exact car they want and not settle.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

There are A LOT of people that will wait 1 month to get the exact car they want and not settle.

I just can't see that working. I think they may want to do it but I see that falling apart real quick.
Ford isn't Ferrari or Porsche where you order your dream. It's a regular vehicle. If they think people are going to go into their local dealer and order an Expedition and wait for it when they can go to the Dodge, Chevy, Genesis, Kia, VW, Audi, (Insert manufacturer hungry for market share here) and drive away that day, I think they're mistaken.
The industry hasn't been like that since Albert Sloane took over at GM.
It's just not going to happen, but I guess we'll see.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
The issue is, we're car guys. A lot of people aren't. A lot of people want/need a new car but have no ****ing clue what they like, thus they head to the dealership to check out cars and test drive. Just went through this with my girlfriend. A lot of us here wouldn't have a need for that, because we know what we like and don't like. Thus online ordering would make more sense.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they try to cut out the dealerships and in return, mark up vehicles slightly to bring in additional revenue since they can't currently pump out the quantity of cars they're used to. People are paying over MSRP as is.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they try to cut out the dealerships and in return, mark up vehicles slightly to bring in additional revenue since they can't currently pump out the quantity of cars they're used to. People are paying over MSRP as is.

Too many lobbyist to due away with dealers not to mention the used side & service side of things.

Customers though need to stop paying at or above MSRP though. Reminds me of gun ammunition where people are paying stupid pricing that if they just wait and allow a build up & for it to sit, prices will creep back thus helping us all.

Pipe dream (yes I know). Seems more people want it now, enjoy and or too conditioned to live pay check to pay check to stop and think though (sadly).

My94GT

Established Member
After ordering the wife a Benz earlier this year vs having bought my truck off the lot a year prior, I’d rather order and get what I want from now on.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just can't see that working. I think they may want to do it but I see that falling apart real quick.
Ford isn't Ferrari or Porsche where you order your dream. It's a regular vehicle. If they think people are going to go into their local dealer and order an Expedition and wait for it when they can go to the Dodge, Chevy, Genesis, Kia, VW, Audi, (Insert manufacturer hungry for market share here) and drive away that day, I think they're mistaken.
The industry hasn't been like that since Albert Sloane took over at GM.
It's just not going to happen, but I guess we'll see.

GM and Stellantis have already said they're following suit with the retail order process.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the positive spin they put on it.
Yep, I get news from corporations informing me of "new" changes, most of which affect me negatively, but cloaked in a "positive" narrative. It's GOOD for you, they say. LOL.

This news from Ford to their dealerships is not surprising based on what we've seen generally from Ford over the past couple of years. Sadly, it will likely get worse for dealerships and customers.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dealerships can't get inventory regardless. This is a non issue. If it was like just a few years ago with a couple of hundred F-150's on the lot, that is one thing. Now most Dealerships are lucky to have half a dozen or so in inventory at one time. Most new inventory is sold when it shows up. It is why the used vehicle market is so hot. Nobody has anything to sell.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dealerships can't get inventory regardless. This is a non issue. If it was like just a few years ago with a couple of hundred F-150's on the lot, that is one thing. Now most Dealerships are lucky to have half a dozen or so in inventory at one time. Most new inventory is sold when it shows up. It is why the used vehicle market is so hot. Nobody has anything to sell.

Non-issue? False.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can not get inventory, making changes to inventory requests is a moot point...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can not get inventory, making changes to inventory requests is a moot point...

Today, yes.

When inventory becomes relevant...when production stops being 100% retail orders...it's not a moot point.

In fact, it's infuriating for the manufacturer to tell me how many vehicles I can get, regardless of how many I pay for...AND now to tell me what options I can order on them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

100% correct, Nick. I would bet that 90% of customers would want that exact scenario. I'll add that IMO they'd love to be able to visit a "manufacturer showroom" to see an optioned vehicle model they're interested in, and then either sit down at the dealership in a cubicle to order their specific vehicle, or go home and do it online. No sales pressure. Just let them order what they want. Make a deposit and apply any discounts/incentives, arrange financing and wait for the vehicle to be delivered. No pushing on the lot deals trying to clean up inventory, or those "extras" at the closing. Keeping it simple. I honestly expect this is ultimately where we're headed.

Look at how easy Carvana and Carmax have made selling your car. Give them your VIN, answer a few questions about the car, drive it to Carmax or have Carvana pick it up, and give you a check. In most cases it's that easy. It wasn't always that easy. I, for one, never liked to sell my cars privately. Too time consuming. But now, we can do it easily. So I can see the buying experience becoming more buyer-convenient and easy, as well.

Time will tell, but I've got a strong feeling on where ultimately this is going.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GM and Stellantis have already said they're following suit with the retail order process.
I was just going to tell him that this is already happening. I fully expect that all of the manufacturers are going to go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread