Changed to Syn Oil, now hearing tick or piston slap or ???

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
After reading a lot of info here and elsewhere I changed over to synthetics oils at 6000miles. Since then I am now hearing some sort of tick or piston slap or something, I'm not quite sure what.
It's especially evident at idle, although when the cars running, with normal road and engine noise is too loud to detect it.
The interesting part is I dont hear it when its cold, only once the engine warms up to running temp.
The engine itself seems to running very smooth and the car feels solid but I dont know what this tick/slap noise is?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
I had a slight knock/slap when I used a non-Ford filter, and it seems to have gone away when I put in the motorcraft filter. I thought the Amsoil filter was supposed to be pretty good. I don't know.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't think that your trouble is related. I think that it is very important that you use 5w-20 or 5w-30 oil with the 5w being the most important part of that equation.

I have been using slick 50 with my 5w-30 since my first oil change, have 12,000 miles on my car and no troubles... knock on wood.

People who have the tick have the tick. Get it fixed. Use 5w oil.

peace.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Why would the 5W be the most important par tof that equation after he stated, "The interesting part is I dont hear it when its cold, only once the engine warms up to running temp."

That means it has nothing to do with the 0W or 5W.

rskdsk

Established Member
He does not hear when cold ... it is not piston slap. What you have is probably the normal tick that 50% of cobras have.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
I don't think that your trouble is related. I think that it is very important that you use 5w-20 or 5w-30 oil with the 5w being the most important part of that equation.

I have been using slick 50 with my 5w-30 since my first oil change, have 12,000 miles on my car and no troubles... knock on wood.

People who have the tick have the tick. Get it fixed. Use 5w oil.

peace.

Your not serious right. You actually put slick 50 in your Cobra that stuff is crap.

I would get rid of the Amsoil Filter and use a Purolator Platinum or Mobil 1 per Cobra'03 suggestion. Depending on where you live I don't see a problem with the 0w-30 is it series 2000 or the normal stuff.

Are you sure the tick is from the engine and not the injectors. I have a tick sound, but it is definitely coming from the injectors.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Seriously Vintage...dump that oil out that you have in your car immediately if not sooner. There have been numerous studies done about PTFE additives and they never had anything good to say.

The worst thing is that the PTFE only sticks to the oil passages in the block...NOT THE BEARINGS...so oil flow is actually restricted!

Talk to Cobra'03 about tribology related topics...seriously!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Petrolon, the parent of Slick-50, long ago was enjoined by the FTC to cease and desist until it could prove its claims. It never could of course because they were absolute nonsense, apparent to anyone with a modicum of understanding of the relevant science.
What now passes for Slick-50 is in some ways even more insincere: it is basically a quart of synthetic oil with some additives, sold for 4X-6x the cost of the same thing a few feet down the aisle. I doubt it will hurt anyhting, but it is worthless garbage. They are using their "great reputation" to hoodwink people who slept through the 80's. They should be made to have a Slick-50 enema in my opinion.

There are no PTFE colloids in S-50 anymore.

The short version of Cobra'03's long study of the original; Teflon product:

1) It cannot plate, either by mechanical or chemical reaction. That claim was a lie.
2) It tended to clog the oil screen. I personally witnessed a tear-down of an engine that failed within 50 miles of having this crap put in it at a Fast Lube joint. It was a chick with a Camaro, sold to her by an acne-scarred nitwit who told her "it was the best thing she could do to extend the life of her engine".
3) It caused accelerated wear in cam lobes in US Army testing and was prohibited for use in any internal combustion engine in the DOD. Petrolon was named specifically. They continued to market the crap until the FTC finally acted.
4) PTFE (Teflon), when burned, forms a deadly toxin, nitrofluoric acid, which can vaporize and poison you. It is on the list of materials at our plant which are never allowed to get anywhere near our consumer products meant for human consumption. Too bad, since PTFE o-rings can last a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread