Changed my spark plugs (pics)...

WydOpen

Established Member
The last time I dyno tuned my car (by Ed Clark) it was breaking up on the top end and he suggested it might be the plugs...fouled and/or gapped improperly.

Previous owner installed NGK TR7ix (Iridium) plugs and had them gapped about 0.032". Today I replaced them with NGK TR6 plugs gapped at 0.028".

I've never seen Iridium plugs before and was wondering if the electrodes are supposed to be this small (compared to the NGK TR6 plug next to it). Also, I've never really been good at reading plugs, anyone able to tell me how "normal" these plugs look? These are driver's side plugs. Passenger side plugs are similar. Thanks! :beer:

p9230381.jpg

p9230379.jpg

Zimmer0924

Master Debater
Established Member
Something does not look right. Can't put my finger on it though. Just joking.
Maybe the seals that go between the valve cover and the head are leaking and allowing oil to seep into the hole where the plugs go?

Black Sex

Established Member
Something does not look right. Can't put my finger on it though. Just joking.
Maybe the seals that go between the valve cover and the head are leaking and allowing oil to seep into the hole where the plugs go?

My drivers side head did that. I got a Felpro gasket kit to do both heads and it cost me $35.

x0lizzbeth0x

Nada.
Established Member
they look right, but they look really rusty almost. i agree that oil's leaking..i think i'd take BAH killerSVT*'s advice.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I run the same plugs...like Brad said, the electrodes are supposed to be that small on the the Irridiums...I would just run the one's you have for a while and then check them to see if oil is getting on them...I have yet to pull mine, they have been in for about 5,000 miles...I prefer the TR7IXs over the TR6s...smoother idle

WydOpen

Established Member
Thanks guys, I looked up a pic and found out the electrode is indeed supposed to be that small.

I honestly don't know how many miles are on them. I know they have at least 6-7,000. I'll have to ask the previous owner when he installed them.

Appreciate the inputs.

Those threads don't look that bad at all. Mine get a lot more oil on them than that. Those plugs look like mine when I add octane booster though. You have a twinscrew on the car or are running a lot of boost with the Eaton? I ask because it would be unlikely, but possible, for the TR7ixs to get spark blowout at the out of the box gap of .034 - .036 running low boost.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i agree. looks like octane booster was used at some point. if you like a real smooth idle, i'd stick with the tr7ix. those are worth the money imo

WydOpen

Established Member
Yep, I'm running a Kenne Bell 2.8H at about 19.5-20 lbs of boost. I've never run Octane Booster through the car, but the previous owner might have.

Was told the TR7ix's were a little too cold for my setup, which is why I'm switching to the TR6's and closing the gap.

I didn't notice a difference in the idle either.

TORQJNKY

Yep, I'm running a Kenne Bell 2.8H at about 19.5-20 lbs of boost. I've never run Octane Booster through the car, but the previous owner might have.

Was told the TR7ix's were a little too cold for my setup, which is why I'm switching to the TR6's and closing the gap.

I didn't notice a difference in the idle either.

Hey Rob, looks like anti sieze around the upper portion of the threads not built up oil. The plug color looks good to me. I run TR7ix's on my car at 17psi gapped at .0028 and have had no issues running on that tune or my 21psi tune with same gap. The only thing I notice is that it takes them a little longer to warm up at initial start up but after that, the car runs great. Do you think the problem you were having on the dyno might have been the 110mm MAF and the tuning struggles?

Last edited:

WydOpen

Established Member
Hey Rob, looks like anti sieze around the upper portion of the threads not built up oil. The plug color looks good to me. I run TR7ix's on my car at 17psi gapped at .0028 and have had no issues running on that tune or my 21psi tune with same gap. The only thing I notice is that it takes them a little longer to warm up at initial start up but after that, the car runs great. Do you think the problem you were having on the dyno might have been the 110mm MAF and the tuning struggles?

Thanks Craig! Yes, that is anti-sieze around the upper threads. I also noticed the same thing with the TR7ix's...the car was harder to start. It is possible the issue is with the 110mm MAF. I've changed the plugs and I plan to throw her back on the dyno again next week, so we'll see if it is the MAF or the plugs. I'll let you know what happens.

You back in town?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, those plugs do look fine IMO. You'll probably be satisfied with the TR6 plugs. They're very popular and widely used. Here is some more information on Terminator spark plugs/gapping in general and Iridium plugs. Terminator Spark Plug Info

Fat-cat

Established Member
I just pulled my Tr7Ix's last night and they were gaped at .40 ish... i didnt realy notice any spark blow out with 17-18 pounds and the whipple but have gone back to tr6's as they Copper is cores are more boost friendly than Iridium plugs ( Mine looked the same as though.. your threads probably have a little copper anti Seize on them )

Note also i am now running a .30 gap on the Tr6's and initial tests last night after the swap my Wot RPM Rev's seems to be allot smoother. I will know better tomorrow at the track when i can rip on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread