Change oil before storing for the winter?

Just_A_GT

Established Member
So with winter quickly approaching, prepping to store the 5.0 is already in the back of my mind. Plan is to have her under the cover from December 1st until April 1st. I know standard procedure is to change the oil before storing for the winter, but does that still apply to a car that only has ~2,500 miles on it?

Thanks ahead of time!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yes. According to page 258 of the Owner's Manual, "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage."

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Two questions though:

1) Why wouldn't the oil still be clean and fresh after only 2,500 miles?

2) How could this oil cause damage if it's sitting in the pan during storage (does it do some kind of out-gasing)?

MTBSully

Established Member
Ive always known that cars should be stored with clean, fresh oil, but are you supposed to drive the car a little bit to bring it up to temp or no? Should you park it, changed it, and leave it till spring?

Just_A_GT

Established Member
Ive always known that cars should be stored with clean, fresh oil, but are you supposed to drive the car a little bit to bring it up to temp or no? Should you park it, changed it, and leave it till spring?

I'm no expert, but what I've read is that if you do choose to start the car in the winter but don't plan on driving it (just want to sit in it and listen to the engine/exhaust lol) you should let it get up to regular operating temp and run for a good 5 minutes. Never just start it up for 30 seconds and shut it off then toss the cover back on.

The owners manual actually recommends starting the car every 15 days and rolling it up and down the driveway if possible (pages 262-263 of the manual).

Users who are viewing this thread