Chambered VS. Straight Thru Mufflers

Tractionless1

Established Member
Anyone dyno the differences between a chambered Flowmaster type muffler vs. a straight through fiberous packed muffler such as the standerd unit that comes with the Magnaflow cat-back?

I am wondering what if any power loss would be realized with a chambered considering the bends in flow. :pop:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
it probably only affects turbo cars but n/a or s/c probably wont be a difference. I have magnaflows on my cobra, but 2 chamber flows on my 289 ci n/a mustang and the flows sound nasty

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
You will get a little more power with the Straight thru design such as MagnaFlow V.S. Flowmaster's chambered design. Not much though, I don't have specific numbers that is just what my tuner told me and have read several places. I however was willing to sacrifice a little horsepower for great sound. I run Flows on every vehicle I have owned.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I just cut the Magnaflows out and installed Super 40's and while I do like the sound better I can't help but feel a seat of the pants power loss. Maybe it's the fact that the Flowmasters aren't as rediculously loud during accel thus equating the audible difference to actual power loss.

I did speak with a buddy whose friend has a 2.8 KB Mammoth with LT's, uncatted X, and 3" Super 40's cat-back and is making 700whp. Hell my 2.5" should do the trick for 519whp, they don't seem to be holding him back.

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I just cut the Magnaflows out and installed Super 40's and while I do like the sound better I can't help but feel a seat of the pants power loss. Maybe it's the fact that the Flowmasters aren't as rediculously loud during accel thus equating the audible difference to actual power loss.

I did speak with a buddy whose friend has a 2.8 KB Mammoth with LT's, uncatted X, and 3" Super 40's cat-back and is making 700whp. Hell my 2.5" should do the trick for 519whp, they don't seem to be holding him back.

I know exactly what you are saying although my Super 44's are louder than my Mag's were.

moonltgold

Don't know about s/c cars, but my 2001 n/a had flowmasters that gave 6 rwhp over stock and at the stock max torque rpm. I swapped to a Magnaflow catback and made another 7 over the flowmasters, but my torque curve went up 300 rpm across the board. So, I would say a s/c will get at least a 6-8 rwhp bump with straight-throughs over chambered, but you are going to loose some torque down low.

99BOSS

Established Member
Ive wondered the same. I had a stinger cat back with my MRT catted H and it had the blat sound at a certain rpm when you rolled on the throttle. I cut the stinger mufflers out and had some flowmaster super 44s welded in their place. Now it sounds better but I honestly couldnt tell any diff in seat of the pants power or not. I asked a tech guy at flowmaster about that and he said the only thing you lost was a glasspack sound that any straight through muffler makes. I like the sound my car makes now so IF I lost a few ponies, so what. And maybe I didnt, who knows.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Are the dyno numbers listed in your sig. through the Flows or Cut-outs?

I saw his dyno vid,it was though the mufflers.
I`ve asked this question here and at MF and got the same answers your getting.BTW,i`m running the Flows w/a OR ProChamber,it sounds great.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Are the dyno numbers listed in your sig. through the Flows or Cut-outs?

Through cutouts...one motor was bad that i have to replace so i just ran them open i would of likes to do a pull with them open and one with them closed that would of told me weather or not the cutouts are beneficial

Users who are viewing this thread