Central PA shop for inspection?

mooch91

Established Member
All,

I'm looking for a shop in the central PA area that I can trust for inspection of my 03 Cobra. I'm in the Lewisburg area.

Maybe I'm being a little crazy, but I'm quite particular and not a fan of turning my keys over to anyone to do the things they do for inspection in PA. I've spent thousands of dollars and the last couple of years correcting things done to my car early in its life - bent pinch welds and scraped rocker panels from improper lifting in the past, marred wheels from use of impact guns on the lug nuts as well. When I was in NJ, all they were doing for inspection was hooking the car up to the computer to look for codes. In PA, they apparently drive the car, lift it to inspect underneath, take off wheels to look at brakes, etc. Not things I generally like to have others do on a car that I treat as collectible...

Also, are there inspection exemptions in PA for collector vehicles that might be applicable to a car driven less than 1000 miles a year?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MineralGray03

Established Member
Im guessing you just moved into the area and are transferring from NJ? If that's the case then yes your car will need a full state inspection. They will check all your lights...tires...brakes...suspension etc. From then on its every year and if mileage is kept under 5k a year it is eligible for emissions exemption. Unfortunately SI every year regardless of mileage.

Beetle6986

Established Member
All,

I'm looking for a shop in the central PA area that I can trust for inspection of my 03 Cobra. I'm in the Lewisburg area.

Maybe I'm being a little crazy, but I'm quite particular and not a fan of turning my keys over to anyone to do the things they do for inspection in PA. I've spent thousands of dollars and the last couple of years correcting things done to my car early in its life - bent pinch welds and scraped rocker panels from improper lifting in the past, marred wheels from use of impact guns on the lug nuts as well. When I was in NJ, all they were doing for inspection was hooking the car up to the computer to look for codes. In PA, they apparently drive the car, lift it to inspect underneath, take off wheels to look at brakes, etc. Not things I generally like to have others do on a car that I treat as collectible...

Also, are there inspection exemptions in PA for collector vehicles that might be applicable to a car driven less than 1000 miles a year?

Thanks in advance.

I have been using the same guy since high school. I just go on my lunch break. He finishes the inspection in about 30 minutes while I'm standing there watching. However, it would be about an hour and 10 minutes from where your location.

What county are you in? Are you sure they require emissions inspections in your county?

Last edited:

mooch91

Established Member
I'm in Union County. No emissions inspection required. It's the safety inspection that has me uncomfortable...someone else touching my car...

Users who are viewing this thread