Centerforce clutch. Recommended?

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
Hi all.
I have a 2003 terminator that I brought wrecked! I'm going to be transfering everything into a 2004 GT shell.
After taking the engine and box out it turns out I have a centerforce clutch, I'm going to upgrade to a 26 spline input on my t56 so was just going to get a new center plate from center force for it.
Are the centerforce clutches ok? I dont want to have to buy a whole new clutch if i dont have to. I will also be fitting a vmp 2.3 and going for around 600whp so my 2nd question is will this clutch handle that power?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I ran a Centerforce DF in my old GT and liked it. 315 DR's + 3500rpm, no slip, just hook and go. No experience with one in the Cobra and 3x the power though, but since nobody else has chimed in...
Is there any sort of model number on it? Looking at their site, the lowest of their clutches appears to hold almost 700ft-lbs. If you're shooting for 600ish whp out of a 2.3, I would imagine torque will be in the 550-575 range. So simply based on the numbers, it should hold for a while depending on how you drive it. I'd personally want something fresh and with a little more headroom, but that's just my two cents.

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.
I agree with looking at the centerforce site that they say 700ft lbs so I should be way under that for now. Just didn't know if they were actually a good clutch as I've never actually driven it.I've spent soooooo much latley so a 25 spline input and just the centre plate is what i was intending for now.
The only part I'm not refurbing/upgrading/rebuilding is the engine! I'm just going to drop it straight in for now and prob pull it out next year come winter for a refresh so would upgrade the clutch then!
I dont want to go for a twin plate or anything really ... had them on previous cars and hated the drive and the noise!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Should you decide to do the clutch later on you might want to double check your research on dual disc clutches. I have the RXT in mine and it's been fine. I've even been stuck in traffic with it with no issues.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a CF in a 67 elcamino with a very mild big block. Puck style didn't last 2k miles before the pucks started coming off. Never again for me. How ever that was a few years ago.

GodStang

Established Member
I ran a centerforce DFX to well over 700 and then pulled it for the Centerforce DYAD (twin disc) and it's amazing!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The DF clutches are fantastic: lighter pedal, smooth, and no noise like the dual-disc versions. Nicely priced too. Have had mine in behind a new engine for 4 years ago and zero issues. No wimpy break-in period either - install and go.

Lots of info on them with some nice literature and pictures from Centerforce as well: Drivetrain

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys think I will stick with the center force at this time. If it fails on my i will see what other options i have

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Should you decide to do the clutch later on you might want to double check your research on dual disc clutches. I have the RXT in mine and it's been fine. I've even been stuck in traffic with it with no issues.
Loved my rxt when I had the 6 spd. Beat on my car daily and it took everything I threw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread