Center Force Stands Behind Their Products

BEARCOBRA

2004 Silver Coupe
Established Member
I've got a 2004 Cobra and we ordered the standard Center Force clutch, NOT the DFX and it appears that FORD has a late model production clutch in some 2004 Cobras. Center Force worked with us and sent us a special Clutch and we still could not get it to work. I had to have the Dealer re-install the original STOCK clutch because FORD put something different in my car.

All of us still can't figure out the problem and it should not be confused that the problem was with CENTER FORCE! The clutch I tried to install has been used by Cobra owners for awhile without any problems. THE PROBLEM is with FORD and trying to figure what they put in my Cobra so I can get a replacement to work. The Problem is NOT with Center Force. So please continue to use there stuff as I will also in the future. I've installed 2 other center force clutches without a problem and the issue is with FORD.

The reason I chose CENTERFORCE was due to their reputation and past experience, so continue to use their stuff and as soon as I get this puzzle figured out I'll post the answer.

Thanks

GLWBEAR
2004 Cobra :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Whats the issue then?
How can you say it's "Fords" issue if you don't know what the issue is yet?!?!
Am I overlooking something here?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Something has changed in the stackup height.

I spoke with CF earlier this week and was told of this current issue on some 04's.

I've also had other 04 owners tell me that they have used the CF unit with no trouble.

So, it seems that on some cars, something has been changed.

It must be with Ford if what has been working, is no longer working, assuming that said piece being installed is on spec.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Just exactly what was the problem?
Would the clutch not release or not engage or abnormal noises or what?

Thanks,

Dana

BEARCOBRA

2004 Silver Coupe
Established Member
Clutch problems

Dana, I suggest you call KC Payne at Center force, as he delt with the FORD Mechanics.

All I know is that there was a different clutch in my o4 Cobra than is usual.

I'm stumped as well. As soon as we get to the bottom we'll let everyone know.

Thanks,
GLWBEAR :shrug:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
GLWBEAR said:
Dana, I suggest you call KC Payne at Center force, as he delt with the FORD Mechanics.

All I know is that there was a different clutch in my o4 Cobra than is usual.

I'm stumped as well. As soon as we get to the bottom we'll let everyone know.

Thanks,
GLWBEAR :shrug:
You mean you don't know why they had to do all of this extra stuff?

I understand you don't know the root cause or problem, but what I was looking for was what were the symptoms: did it not go into gear, or would it not engage or did it slip or did it make noise, etc...

Thanks,
Dana

jeffsvt

Established Member
A friend of mine just ran into a similar situation in his 03 Cobra . He could not get the car to shift at all in the upper rpms the clutch would not let go . After doing some adjusting his next problem was the clutch fork hitting . After many attempts he could not get it to work , so he's pulling and installing a RAM clutch and getting a refund on the Centerforce .

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I'm just lost here.....if other setups are working fine but the CF ones arn't then how can it be a ford problem?
I mean think about it, if other companies are working and CF isn't then that would be a problem CF hasn't worked out, not ford.
Am i thinking correct here?!?!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
jeffsvt said:
A friend of mine just ran into a similar situation in his 03 Cobra . He could not get the car to shift at all in the upper rpms the clutch would not let go . After doing some adjusting his next problem was the clutch fork hitting . After many attempts he could not get it to work , so he's pulling and installing a RAM clutch and getting a refund on the Centerforce .
As long as your friend is dropping the trans again anyway, have him double check the clutch fork. It is unlikely that it is bent, but still a possiblilty none the less. And if that were the case, it could also cause his problem.

One other thing I ran into recently was the pivot ball loosened up and worked its way out part way.
He may want to check that too.

If it is either of these things, another brand of clutch won't fix the problem.

Dana

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
MAn, do not get the RAM. I am havving the same exact problem as you guys are with the CF. The fingers on the PP are to short. Read my post over at modularfords.com.

Users who are viewing this thread