CELs: Lean Bank 1 and Bank 2, looked over vacuum hoses and found THIS!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
As some of you know, I have been having 2 codes popping up consistently for Lean Bank 1 and Lean Bank 2 on my KB Cobra. This all happened after being 2 years problem free with the Kenne Bell.
My question is this.
I found this vacuum hose/elbow, collapsed with a cut in it and am wondering if this is allowing un-metered air in? or does the air come out here?
Also, can I get this piece a car part store or should I try my luck with Steve at Tousely Ford.
Thanks for the replies SVTperf.:rockon:

DSCF0902.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
looks like you need an oil separator. PCV system will ingest some oil and thats what's deteriorating the rubber hoses.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am not a big fan of deleted PCVs, or EGRs.
Or "cleaning all that crap out of there and chuck it".:dw::nonono:

Yes that is a fairly significant vacuum leak which = lean out.
I would just get a new Ford molded PCV line from Tousley at 10% over cost.

BTW that hose is not made out of rubber.:rollseyes :nonono: It is designed to have oil vapor running through it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great stuff guys...thanks so much!
For some reason, I have a very difficult time removing the elbow from the rest of the line. You can see in the picture that the elbow is just a small piece, but I have a hard time getting it off...I'll look into tmw...
Thanks again

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Great stuff guys...thanks so much!
For some reason, I have a very difficult time removing the elbow from the rest of the line. You can see in the picture that the elbow is just a small piece, but I have a hard time getting it off...I'll look into tmw...
Thanks again

Cut it off. It's already bad. Take a razor knife and cut length wise where it is on that plastic piece that connects those two pieces of tube. Should come off easier then :beer:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Joe, just curious as to what your vac was reading at idle with that hose like that?
I get a molded one from Ford as already mentioned. That has a pretty good bend in it that would be hard to replicate with just a hunk of hose from the parts store.

1wild-horse

Established Member
BTW that hose is not made out of rubber.:rollseyes :nonono: It is designed to have oil vapor running through it.
pretty shitty design whatever it's made out of then.
hose failed because of some other reason?

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Established Member
^^ right, and it's not uncommon, even on scores of other vehicles. but i guess it's not rubber:shrug:

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Joe, just curious as to what your vac was reading at idle with that hose like that?
I get a molded one from Ford as already mentioned. That has a pretty good bend in it that would be hard to replicate with just a hunk of hose from the parts store.

Vac was reading 20-22, like normal...
What caused me to keep looking for a leak was that my idle was at 1500 sometimes...when I plug the crack in the hose with my finger, the car drops down to 800 idle:rockon:, that's what I'm, looking for!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
^^ right, and it's not uncommon, even on scores of other vehicles. but i guess it's not rubber:shrug:

I think it's neoprene or nitrile or something similar. They are both very similar looking to rubber, but an actual rubber vacuum line would be toast in under a year.

These are going out now quite often, but they are at least 7 years old.

Rubber parts don't seem to care much about miles, but time eventually takes it's toll. Plus even with low miles the PCV hose is sitting with oil coating the inside 24-7 whether it is being driven or not.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Dont know about the Cobras lower intake, but on Lightnings, you can take a 3/8 NPT and plug it. Or if you would like to keep your PCV, 3/8 NPT with a 90* barbed end on it. That way you just run a better quality type hose, rather then just a fuel line hose, that will deteriorate still. And never have to worry again about that damn elbow rotting and cracking.

DropTop03SVT

Established Member
I am having the same issue, replaced that same hose. Is there another hose even lower than the one pictured above? Still idling at 1500 Rpms

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
yup i had same problem luckily i found it before it split i just got some super hard tranny hose and fitted it on no problems! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread