CCW Tire fitment help -- Rubbing, not sure why!!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
need some help ** Edited with pic's**

bought some CCW's, 18x11 rears mounted with 305/35/18's R888's on the back.....was told they wouldn't rub and I'd have to do zero modifications to the car to get them to fit.

Well, put them on yesterday, went for a quick ride and noticed they are rubbing

It looks like the tire is making contact with the inner fender lip....BUT...I have about two finger gap between tire and the fender with me sitting in the car. The car is by no means slammed.

You think an alignment would take care of it? Would a 30 series tire eliminate it?

My mod list is simple, HR Lowering springs, FTBR IRS kit with toe links and shaved IRS Bolt

I am a littlle annoyed:fm:

And before anyone tells me to roll the fenders, I don't want to have to do that. Based on the gap that's there...they should fit!
I don't like doing mod's that can't be undone.

030D372B-A9D0-4C86-B064-3F38A2316C56_zpsquy5fua1.jpg

5AE64074-098D-404E-9318-9B09CE0D71CF_zpssez0ykyv.jpg

05F43B76-9DE5-410C-BEA5-C2FBA6CE4F13_zpszbf7q0pp.jpg

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Did you get these straight from CCW? What is the offset? I dont know if it makes a huge difference but hopefully you didnt get solid axle wheels when you need IRS offset wheels. Sorry to hear this Ian, I was dieing to see these on the car!

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Based off your pictures it doesn't look like the caster/camber is far off at all and spacers would only make it worse by sticking it out more. Although you have quite a bit of room when the car is sitting, it could be quite the opposite when on uneven ground or over bigger bumps. I had the same problem in my old car with only 295's out back (FWIW I have H&R race springs, run an 18x11 rim with 335's out back, and have rolled fenders with lo-pro IRS bolts with no issues at all).

It sucks but unfortunately it's almost a must to roll the fenders on cobra's with a bigger tire out back. I know it's not what you want to hear but with the right equipment and someone who knows what they are doing it can be accomplished very nicely with no damage to the paint.

Hope this helps man and good luck, I can imagine the frustration after dropping that much on wheels and having rubbing issues.

esonu

Established Member
heres the deal. i had 335/30s before sitting flush no problems with rubbing. yet now i have 315/35 my fenders are rubbing now. Theres only two solutions get stiffer shocks or roll the fenders. lucky for me i have koni adjustables and i turned it all the way stiff no more rubbing lol

FromGTtoSVT

Established Member
so the wheels are 18x11 with a 6.75" backspace (+19mm offset),

Based on alot of responses from various people..it looks like I am going to have to suck it up and roll the fenders. Which is really disappointing considering CCW told me I wouldn't have to

JrSVT

Established Member
I have CCW 505a's 18x11s with the same backspacing...315/30/18 BFG drag radials, low profile IRS bolts, stock springs cut 3/4 of a coil and don't have any problems.

Jr.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Rolling the fenders is prob the best way. However, if you want to try throwing some negative camber on the rear wheels it may be just enough to clear. When was the last time you had an alignment? You can make your own gauge to check for camber. Maybe your camber is positive or at 0 and -1 to -2 camber will be just enough to fix your problem. Worth a try before you roll the fenders if you need an alignment anyway.

zeus201

Established Member
so the wheels are 18x11 with a 6.75" backspace (+19mm offset),

Based on alot of responses from various people..it looks like I am going to have to suck it up and roll the fenders. Which is really disappointing considering CCW told me I wouldn't have to

I had the same issue too but with a 295/35/18 tire and no ISOs at the rear (HR Sport Springs). I ended up installing only the top MM ISO as I did not know of anyone around who could roll fenders.

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
I think its that you have 35 vs 30 tires, I have 315 30 18 R888 out back and yours has a lot of sidewall compared to mine. My wheels are 18x11 out back (not sure the BS on it) and I dont have my feders rolled with zero issue. That might change this weekend tho since I am going to be mounting my 18x11 Classics with same BS as yours, Ill let you know if it rubs or not.

BTW rear on my Cobra is not slammed either.

SpectorV

Established Member
there is no way they would not rub based on those pics, perhaps if the car was stock height but lowered yup it will rub with an offset so that the rim width - backspacing is 3.5 you might can push 3.75 without rubbing with a normal side tire (not to much extra sicking out)

you will have to roll the fenders to fix it or raise the car up~ or get different rims. I dont think a lower sidewall tire would help but it might (gamble)

my frontspacing is 3.75 and I BARELY rub and only on one side, some cars are different and in my case it only happens when I go over bumps really hard or have people in the back seat, my springs help a they are very stiff (H&R race 700lbs progressive front/rear~)

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

Established Member
Rolling the fenders is prob the best way. However, if you want to try throwing some negative camber on the rear wheels it may be just enough to clear. When was the last time you had an alignment? You can make your own gauge to check for camber. Maybe your camber is positive or at 0 and -1 to -2 camber will be just enough to fix your problem. Worth a try before you roll the fenders if you need an alignment anyway.

I had an alignment done a year ago when I had my FTBR kit installed

it looks like its only touching in one spot on both sides, the highest part of the wheel well. Given that, I am not sure an alignment would solve the issue........

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Ian, looking at these pics, I don't think you'll have to roll them very far. You just need that horizontal razor edge of that factory lip bent upwards. The factory process leaves a ridiculously sharp leading edge in places.

Users who are viewing this thread