ccw question for LEO

BLADEZ28

here is what i was told (at the court house) when i went to get a carry permit. That because i was active duty military that in the state of Georgia i did not need the permit and that also in any state that accepted Ga permits i did not need one. i am asking because i don't want to get into trouble because some clerk at the courthouse does not really know what she was talking about
thanks for all your help

BACKFIRE

Established Member
*removed by moderator* OP requested LEOs only, that means only those verified to be actual L.E.O.s

jshen

Established Member
Technically correct

in one respect......

Georgia's gun laws are a mess and vague..which can come back to haunt you. Permits are obtained in the county of your residence...unless you are military as spelled out below:

16-11-129

The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $15.00, issue a license or renewal license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application,

So there is a provision for permits being issued to active military. Now the exceptions are here at 130 which says your exempt from carry provisions such as concealed, carrying at public gathers, school zones, and permits.

§ 16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

In Georgia, we have to read statutes as though they harmonize..and must give consistent meaning to each...which leads me as follows:

You should get a permit as the exceptions only apply if you are acting in the course of your employment. I am exempt, yet I have a permit and my office mandates I keep it up to date. When I retire I will continue to get permits but they are free for me.

SCOPE OF EXEMPTION. --Exemptions stated in former Code 1933, § 26-2907 appertain only to certain persons employed by government and its subdivisions, and then only when engaged in pursuit of official duty or otherwise specifically authorized by law to do so. Talley v. State, 129 Ga. App. 479, 199 S.E.2d 908 (1973) (see O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130).

Let me add a post script here...If you're active military..how do you get a gun on base? Or are you living off base. Having had to venture onto Hunter here is Savannah, I "declare" to MPs I have one in my car...and they call [ I guess the provost marshal?] and it all ends up with how bad do they want me on post..as they call me to come see them about an issue. As to Federal Courthouse and federal property, a state permit is no good!...

Last edited:

BLADEZ28

i live off base, but if you live in base housing here you can carry a gun onto that part of the base. they do not like to have people carry guns onto the main base you normally have to check them into the armory.
thanks for the answer i will just get the permit

Users who are viewing this thread