Votes: 194 48.7%
  • no cats

Votes: 204 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whippleblown03

Established Member
its real mellow at idel. but when you get the rpms above 3k its pretty loud. its a lot different sounding than 5.0 with the same type of exhaust setup. these 32v motors just make a different sound. i like it and my friend with a 04 mach has SLP exhaust and high flow cats and i think its just as loud. i like the way mine sounds compared to his. i think a high flow cat would tame my car down noise wise a little more i just went with the off road x because it was cheap and easy. but i did buy the MIL eliminators and now i got $200.00+ into the mid pipe!

Z O SICK

Established Member
bultaco370 said:
if you go in for warrenty work i would put the cats back on. ford frowns on mods. my car still has the stock tune and i replaced the cats with a upr off road x-pipe and i went from 109mph to 116mph at the drag strip!

Damn, that a lot of mph just from taking off the cats.

cdh027

Established Member
bultaco370 said:
if you go in for warrenty work i would put the cats back on. ford frowns on mods. my car still has the stock tune and i replaced the cats with a upr off road x-pipe and i went from 109mph to 116mph at the drag strip!

7 mph in the 1/4 by just removing cats ? :bs:

whippleblown03

Established Member
my car ran 13.1 @109 stock. went back with not cats 1 month later and 3" exhaust and hit a few 12.6 @ 116. same track. mabey better day and probably better driving. but the car feels stronger without the cats. i am going to put the cats back on now that i just got a car lift in my shop. the car is just to loud with the cats off.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
The more power your car makes, the more hp you'll gain by loosing the cats. Like others have said though, the sound alone is worth dropping em. :banana:

Brandon

SVTBoxer

Established Member
I have always heard that no cats make more power and I have ran no cats on my last 3 cobras and I love it!!!!!!!!

tex00gt

Established Member
just buy an o/r pipe and you will enjoy it, its not like your going to notice 5 hp. in the seat of your pants anyway, by the way it will be alot louder makes it sound like your going faster, plus they shouldnt say anything about it anyway cause I have alot of friends running o/r pipes on their stangs in flordia, the only time you should worry is if you drive past the state border..

WOPONY98

Established Member
I have High Flow Cats on all 3 of my previously owned Stangs and my current Cobra. I move around alot and emissions is always a pain in the butt. Like stated above 5 hp is not going to be that noticeable. If your going to spend the money do it right and keep it legal. Until you start racing competively on the track I would stick with High Flow Cats.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
With no cats you may make a little more power, but you lose boost because an eaton blower needs some back pressure to build boost against. The car will also be alot louder with no cats and you'll have to deal with the constant smell.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: Not true, the cats have nothing to do with your boost. The boost that a positive displacement roots blower makes is created inside the blower and the intake manifold. The more exhaust you get out and the faster it gets out the better. Now by changing the size of your exhaust chambers in your heads, that can change your power and TQ. Your cats have nothing to do with how much boost you will end up with. :read:

James

beabout

Established Member
If you do drop the cats.... (1) don't use mil eliminators. (2) have your tuner turn off the sensors. (3) Get the car tuned for the "new" exhaust flow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread