Votes: 194 48.7%
  • no cats

Votes: 204 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Bill

Established Member
It has been my experience that the car will pull harder with more back pressure.I had a couple runs with a friends modded Z06 back before I did the apten.I ran him with electric cuttouts open and with them closed.When they were open he would pull me with them closed we were side by side.This is all the proof I need that the car needs some back pressure.Today I just purchased a catted x.Yes I will miss the scary loud sound but I will enjoy putting a car on people that I run dead even with now.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
ofcourse the gains will show up on the dyno, this is at a time when your SC is at full boost, and utilizing the abilities of the free-flowing midpipe.

When your daily driving, and not in the boost, the catless midpipe, gives up the NA Torque....

also as we know, even tho we are not in boost, it doesnt mean the SC isnt pushing along air into the motor...the catless midpipe will also get these gases to escape faster...

so yes in DD mode, ofcourse you will feel the loss in TQ....get on it on the street, and it should feel a lot stronger...

Wild Bill

Established Member
Wow I just got the magnaflow catted x pipe on and the pos cuttouts off.The car feels stronger down low,not so boggy.The car feels more like when I had the f1s on it.It sounds terrible now though.I still have the stock mufflers.I forgot how quiet this car is stock.What would go best with the magnaflow catted X?On a bad note,with my car up on the lift I noticed I have the rear leak again.I just got the girdle from mj,but havent put it on yet.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by MG01SVT
No flame intended Green cobra, but you are not exactly driving a Prius yourself there
Aaron

Yes, I can understand where you're coming from- however the cobra is not my daily driver, maybe 5-10 miles a week. I also have all the required smog/emissions control equipment on it. Most of my day consists of walking (college after all).

I'll admit after reading my post it wasn't worded all that great. In all fairness he only asked about which would make more power, so I'll apologize for getting ahead of myself. All I'm saying is theres no need to go out of our way to pollute more than we already do. Ya know?:rockon:

Established Member
I just put catless xpipe on mine as well. Definately feels like it lost low end trq in daily driving. But when I get on it, it definately feels faster. I don't know cause I haven't got on a dyno yet but it could all be in my head. I definately love the sound though.

coleman

Established Member
i just blew through a new set of magnaflow cats @ 3000 miles.
if this happens again in 3000, i'll go no cats regardless...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
since this was revived, I'll post an update.

I ended up going with the UPR o/r X pipe, and I did get the magnapack mufflers welded into my magnaflow catback. The car is way too loud with this exhaust combination, and IMO under 3K rpm it sounds like ass. I am going to switch to a catted H pipe in the near future. If it is still too loud I am going to get bassani baffles put in, and If its still too loud after that, the magnapacks are coming out.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Those who lost torque after removing the cats, have you had your car dyno tuned? Mail order tunes don't cut it. If properly tuned, I believe you WILL gain back your torque, plus a few extra ponies. IMO :burnout:

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
Im running a MAC3'' exhaust w/ Bassani Catless X-pipe, and I do feel a tad less torque down low.....Ive raced a few cars and sometimes they'll stay even w/ me or pull a little BUT once things get going I end up sucking them up bad......I love my setup and the sound, at idle its just a tad deeper at WOT it sounds like the damn car will eat you....I get compliments all the time.....Hell a few weeks ago in my apartments a guy washing his truck flagged me down just to see that my Cobra is the meanest thing he's ever heard........lol....gotta luv the comments......I just got a 4lb lower so that should make up for me low end.......JT

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
With no cats you may make a little more power, but you lose boost because an eaton blower needs some back pressure to build boost against. The car will also be alot louder with no cats and you'll have to deal with the constant smell.

Mysticobra04

Got no cats on mine it sounds like a race car amd i love it. Don't get many races because a little on the loud side guess the get spooked. But other than that I can really a tell a big diff with no cats when u get on it hard to me it pulls a lot harder.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I say no cats, but I live in florida where no one cars about the noise of it. Since you live in CA, then you might have to worry about emissons.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
will you hear the "POPPING" sound more when you downshift fast WITHOUT the cats?

HPCobra04

Established Member
Warranty issue

This may be a stupid question but will ford void my warranty, if i have an off road h pipe.

whippleblown03

Established Member
if you go in for warrenty work i would put the cats back on. ford frowns on mods. my car still has the stock tune and i replaced the cats with a upr off road x-pipe and i went from 109mph to 116mph at the drag strip!

compcobra

Established Member
bultaco370, how does your car sound with the dynomax catback and upr x-pipe? How loud is it? Just trying to decide what midpipe to use on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread