Catch can

boost88

Established Member
Who has one and where did you mount it? I'm out of ideas on where to put mine. I'd like somewhere that is hidden but easy to empty. Prefer not to mount it to the plastic panel on the fire wall

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
What car? Listen I went back and fourth with the same debate on catch cans. I wanted it out of sight and not on the firewall. I finally said F it all and got the JLT 3.0. Mounted it to the firewall. Thing is super easy to empty. Took about 10min to install and takes 1min to empty. Not to mention it does look really good! Mine is a 98 Cobra, so its on the driver side on firewall.

rzimmerl

Established Member
I didn't like the firewall mount so I cut, bent in a vise, and painted a piece of sheet metal and mounted using EGR sensor studs and nuts.

JLT.jpg

boost88

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions I do like the egr plate mount.

boost88

Established Member
Thanks for the idea. Fabbed up a quick bracket and I'm happy how it turned out
2c7b0b000aa8770b2bbc4b9ad14fd337.jpg

Twisted2

Established Member
It's cool to see what others have done. I took advantage of my car being a '96, and cobbled together some clamps with Home Depot parts, and mounted it on my strut tower brace. It's not pretty, but definitely more stable than other options I was considering. No complaints.
20180529_114755.jpeg
20210612_001948.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

brucesvt

Established Member
Sorry to hi-jack this thread. Does anyone have one for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

boost88

Established Member
Looks like most of us bought the cheap 20 dollar ebay variant Bruce. Ne a much cheaper option than a jlt

Twisted2

Established Member
Yep. Mine works fairly well. I've put some Chore Boy scrubbers in it, to improve its performance--both in the little filter compartment in the top, and in the reservoir itself.

Before the scrubbers, it caught some oil, but also let a lot into the intake. It catches a lot more now, but still let's a small amount through, which I'm ok with. I also experimented with using different length lines, but that's another story.

It's worth it to me, having seen what my combustion chambers, ports, and IMRC plates looked like before adding the can. I like to think things will be cleaner at the end of another 100k miles, than before the can.

Looks like most of us bought the cheap 20 dollar ebay variant Bruce. Ne a much cheaper option than a jlt

boost88

Established Member
Yep. Mine works fairly well. I've put some Chore Boy scrubbers in it, to improve its performance--both in the little filter compartment in the top, and in the reservoir itself.

Before the scrubbers, it caught some oil, but also let a lot into the intake. It catches a lot more now, but still let's a small amount through, which I'm ok with. I also experimented with using different length lines, but that's another story.

It's worth it to me, having seen what my combustion chambers, ports, and IMRC plates looked like before adding the can. I like to think things will be cleaner at the end of another 100k miles, than before the can.

Got any pictures of the scrubber

Twisted2

Established Member
Got any pictures of the scrubber

They look like this, and are maybe about the size of a golf ball. I dropped two in the canister, and cut another, to stuff into the little filter compartment in the top. The piece that I cut, I knocked around a bunch, to get the loose shavings out of it. (Not that I saw many--just wanted to be careful).

14911572.jpeg

railroad

Established Member
I put some fuel cell foam in the cup of my JLT. My logic was the air flow would not be able to pick up oil from the cup. I cut the foam to fill the cup half way. Seems to be doing well.

Twisted2

Established Member
On the subject, I just emptied my can today, and thought someone might be interested in this. Here's what the can has captured, to date, since I installed it 11k miles ago. It's a 33.8 oz bottle.

The second picture is of the two scrubbers in the can. They just give the oil droplets something to condense on. Seems to help.

20210619_102008.jpeg
20210619_102542.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread