Catback worth the money?

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I have a VMP gen 3 on my 2014 Mustang. Best pass is 10.1@138. The car has stock headers, cat delete and x pipe, and stock OAP and mufflers. I have been thinking about getting a catback to replace the OAP and mufflers to something more free flowing in order to help move it into the single digits. At this point, is it worth the money? Or are the gains very minimal?

I have seen videos of cars making 5-10whp more N/A with a just a catback change so with double the crank HP would I see 10+whp?

It would also save me ~20 pounds depending on brand/style.

Let me know what you guys have experienced or your thoughts.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The OAP pipes alone are good for 5-10 horsepower, not to mention they are a few pounds lighter than stock. I am using the Borlas and have no issues with them. Lethal Performance also offers these and the overall feedback is great. The only difference vs the stock pipes is the resonators are removed. If you are on a tight budget you can take your car to any exhaust shop and they can cut out your stock resonators and weld in new pipes.

The stock GT mufflers are pretty damn heavy and I bet they are somewhat restrictive. You can definitely save close to 20 pounds alone by just swapping the mufflers out. The real question you need to answer is what mufflers do you want. Most mufflers on these cars are LOUD and its hard to find the best sound. Its hard to beat the sound of stock GT500 mufflers but the downside is they are only a few pounds lighter than stock. The other popular choices are Corsa Sport and Magnaflow.

It all comes down to your budget, definitely get the stock mufflers off the car though.

crjackson

Established Member
The OAP pipes alone are good for 5-10 horsepower, not to mention they are a few pounds lighter than stock.

Thanks, I was just thinking about this myself. I already run the GT500 ABs. How obnoxious is this setup with it not having resonators? I really don’t want it to be unpleasant when cruising a few hundred miles.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, I was just thinking about this myself. I already run the GT500 ABs. How obnoxious is this setup with it not having resonators? I really don’t want it to be unpleasant when cruising a few hundred miles.
I have the GT 500 mufflers and the Borla OAPs. I dont think it is obnoxious. Only loud when you are on the gas. Cruising there is no drone just a pleasant rumble. Its a good sound....but Imhave an aftermarket h pipe and my cats...

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It's just a touch louder than the stock pipes, no drone at all. I am running longtubes with off road x pipe, borla over axle pipes with gt500 mufflers. Car is rather tame when cruising but sounds amazing at full tilt . It's by no means obnoxious.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

crjackson

Established Member
Thanks, I’m running Catless, OR-H behind Kooks LTH. I was just thinking today how quite it is unless I stab it. I’d like a little more idle, and light throttle volume. I’m not a big fan of decel-popping (I have plenty of that already) so I was a little concerned about that and highway drone.

Users who are viewing this thread