Cat Problems, P0420 & P0430

Spectre9599

The dreaded engine light has starting popping up on me... Computer shows it is both the bank 1 and bank 2 codes (catalytic system efficiency below threshold) at the same time. With both coming at the same time does that lead to any help diagnosing the issue that anyone is aware of?

The light has came on a couple times for me now. The first time it came on was when I was running 140 mph. I thought it might have just been from running it like that so I cleared the light. A week or so later it has popped back up after just normal everyday driving.

Car only has a little over 50k miles and is stock except for a borla exhaust and roush short shifter.

Suggestions?

Also, where are the best places you guys have found to order parts online?

Last edited:

Spectre9599

I'd check the cats. Running it hard might have damaged them.

I had thought about it, but I was certainly hoping it's not just the cats are broken. Can you damage them easily by running them hard like that? Or is it just because they are 17 years old at this point. Surely if I have to put new cats on it, they aren't going to get blown out if I decide to get a little playful again are they?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I honesty don't know. I've only blown out one set of cats. And that was because the engine had 3 bad pistons. Maybe it's just a matter of the wiring touched something hot and shorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread