Caster / Camber plates necessary for springs??

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I know you can put springs on without them, but will it mess up the alignment?

Are they "required" in order to get good alignment with any lowering springs??

Thanks in advance.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
My local speed shop told me that in order to get proper aligment you will need caster/camber plates.

Poison_S

Established Member
Before the 03 Cobra, I lowered my 95 & 97 cobras with Eibach springs. The drop was approximately 1.5" front/back and I did not use C/C plates.

However, the short-coming was inside tire wear on the front tires due to the excessive negative camber.

To attain proper alignment specs you will need to install the c/c plates.

i8u

Established Member
I never used them on my lowered 98 cobra. If you want them I'll give you a good deal on some new ones from BBK that I never used. PM me for details if interested.:beer:

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes, absolutely.

Exactly! I tried to make it work without caster camber plates but couldn't get the alignment set. Car will still drive fine but you will be replacing tires every 10K miles.

docs03

Established Member
C/C Plates

I'm in the process of having Eibach springs put on. Shop could not get the car aligned. Waiting for the KB C/C plates to come in and then will get a four wheel alignment.

doc

MJ32V

Established Member
I see discussion on front spring change requiring re-alignment along with requiring special cc plates. How about rear spring change? Will changing out stock rear springs to ones that are 1 1/2" lower affect rear alignment? Will there be any problems w/achieving rear alignment spec without having to buy any special plates?

MJ

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I see discussion on front spring change requiring re-alignment along with requiring special cc plates. How about rear spring change? Will changing out stock rear springs to ones that are 1 1/2" lower affect rear alignment? Will there be any problems w/achieving rear alignment spec without having to buy any special plates?

You don't need cc plates for rear but you do need a rear alignment if you change out rear springs.

sqidd

Established Member
Im going coil-over and am definitly going to use cc plates. I think the term "propper alignment specs" needs to be clarified. There is more than one kind of alignment. If you want to run your front end at "factory specs" you will need cc plates. If you lower your front end with springs you will get a lot more negative camber (top of wheels tipped in). This is actually the prefered set up for hard cornering because it keeps the tire flatter in the middle of a corner. Obviously the down side is that the inside tread will wear quicker if you are going straight. I have been doing a lot of back road corner carving with the stock geometry and am chewing up the outer edges of my front tires.
Just keep in mind that everything is a comprimise and you need to set your car up for it's intended use.

sqidd

BLACKSNAKE 94

The Ol fart with class!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
I know you can put springs on without them, but will it mess up the alignment?

Are they "required" in order to get good alignment with any lowering springs??

Thanks in advance.
There is a very good article to read on the Steeda web site, about Mustang suspension and its pitfalls and it sounds as though CC plates are definately needed to make the car handle better and save tire wear.:)
That is at www.steeda.com BS94. click on Tech articles- then -where to begin.. :read: :) :beer:

Last edited:

MJ32V

Established Member
If I were to lower front by 1.6" (H&R Sport spring) without using cc plate, would I be able to get close to the stock camber setting of -0.9, or would it end up being closer to -1.5 or greater? Just read the Steeda tech section on alignment... don't want excessive wear on inside of tire. Most of the miles driven are highway. I don't roadrace but do occasional drag racing. Appreciate you thoughts.

MJ

MJ32V

Established Member
Fakesnake-
According to Steeda's alignment tech section, -1.8 camber puts you in the "road race" category. How are the tires wearing? How many miles/what kind of driving do you do? Thanks...

MJ

fakesnake.com

Established Member
That was just an approximation. I remember it being way out so I put on caster camber plates immediately and re-aligned it. I bought the Maximum Motorsports to get 4 way alignment versus the standard 3 corner (bolt alignment).

A couple of years ago I lowered another car and didn't re-align vehicle. Wore out the inside tread fairly soon.

Users who are viewing this thread