Cast iron block vs. Aluminum block

Would you rather have a cast iron block or Aluminum block?

• Cast Iron

Votes: 175 31.9%
  • Aluminum Teksid

Votes: 316 57.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 10.6%

• Total voters

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Kar Kraft is reaching. you can get the blocks for around $600-$900 if you look around. They are wanting 2500 for it + crappy internals.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Kar Kraft is reaching. you can get the blocks for around $600-$900 if you look around. They are wanting 2500 for it + crappy internals.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
"To me cast iron is a better material then aluminum for an engine block. From a performance standpoint the only major advantage aluminum has over cast iron is weight. Cast iron is much stiffer and stronger then aluminum and will provide much better durability in the long run. It is thermally more stable then aluminum and has 1/3 the coefficient rate of expansion which means it will maintain dimensional stability better. Cast iron is a poor conductor of heat (higher heat rejection) and will provide a more uniform thermal expansion rate over the entire structure where as aluminum will exhibit more local heating and cooling over the same area which can result in thermal induced stresses due to the heat disparity throughout the casting.

Does that mean aluminum is not a good choice for engine blocks? Not at all, It has been used for years and it’s weight advantages cannot be overlooked. It’s much easier to repair then cast iron, cheaper to machine and does not corrode as much.

I read an article where a Ford Engineer stated that the Cobra engine is designed to handle about 1100-1200 hp. On a continual basis I doubt that it would hold together at that power level. But if you paired that with an aluminum block Cobra engine my money would be on the cast iron motor holding together longer. I’m glad Ford had the wisdom of using cast a iron block in the Cobra." - Slow SVT

I smell an engineer!

I think there is some truth in everyone's posts. The fact is that there is no single reason why Ford went to an Iron block. The culmination of bean counters, lack of R&D time, etc, etc led them to do so. I think we all can agree that it Would be awesome for them to have used an aluminum block that can handle everything that we could throw at it, and we can hope that this is the case in the future. ( I have a feeling it will be)

Mustangous

Established Member
I just read the last 11 pages and WOW, this topic has been beat to death.... :bash: But thankis for the great information. Learned alot. I really only had to read the first 2 pages but it was good otherwise.

Well from what i have gotten from this thread was that the 96-99 Blocks are probably the most beneficial block to get(Hope i didnt just start anything...Please not more debate) and the 03-04 cobra heads are the best flowing, what about the cranks in the 96-99 motors? how are they? I think i heard that the 03-04 cranks are the strongest, right? steel, correct? Cause a Mark VIII 4v 4.6L should be pretty reasonable to get from the junkyard so a short block build should be pretty reasonable :shrug: . Just getting my hands on the heads...

Last edited:

Mustangous

Established Member
Ok, another question....
I heard the aviators heads are the same as the 03-04 cobra heads, this true? how are those motors, as compared to the teksid blocks?

WDW MKR

Established Member
The Teksid block is stronger than the WAP found in the SUVs and Mach 1s. That being said, most builders will tell you that they haven't had a problem with either. My Teksid-based shortblock just got finished and is shipping my way.

The heads are shared among the 03/04 Cobra, Mach 1, and Aviator.

Last edited:

frankin

Established Member
The aluminum, by all means woud be the better choice. I don't think we can complain about the iron blocks in our cars too much. Compared to other types in this catagory, you can't beat what you get for your money.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The same as the 96-98, but slightly different from the 99's. But the 99's are Teksid as well. Most of them anyways.

-Jeff

ibismojo

Established Member
does anyone know the weight difference between a complete aluminum 96 cobra engine and a complete aluminum 302 ohv engine? complete meaning everything, pump, heads, headers, minus transmission, etc. i'd imagine the 302 being lighter, no?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i know this is an old discussion and has been beat to death already, but those who voted iron and still think iron is stronger may want to check this thread over at modularfords... http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-mustang-cobra/al-pappito-45316.html

to me aluminum has always been the clear choice and the switch to iron was just a downgrade/cost cutting measure in our cars. the fact that high end automakers like mercedes use aluminum in their fi cars and the ford gt use it show me that as well.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have a teksid out of an '01 Cobra. I was pumped to say the least when I went to go look at it! Anyway, I read the comments from Mihovetz this morning, and am very glad I am using this block for my turbo buildup.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
TEABG said:
With the possibility of denotation Iron is great safety..............

Not really. Ask the lighting owners, or any 03/04 cobra owner that has thrown a rod through their IRON block. It doesn't matter what type of material the block is made of. If you throw a rod the chances are that you will ventilate that block. The only real difference that you need to look at between an aluminum and iron block is will the block distort at the horsepower I am going for? A bad tune has the potential to destroy any block.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread