Carvana Update - Sold my truck

SSSLAV8

Established Member
Not sure what I did here, was just trying to post a reply with the quote and all this happened. I’m not even drunk

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Carvana’s referral program is a little different than the traditional dealership, they give the buyer a $500 credit towards a purchase and if you buy then they also send the person that referred you $100

While that sounds great and all...$500 towards the purchase of a new vehicle that is on average $941 more expensive being bought through Carvana rather than a traditional dealership, isn't all that great of a deal.

velocicaur

Established Member
My truck finally appeared on the website. I've been searching every day and I couldn't find it. I even went to auto trader and searched out 500 miles to see if it was transferred somewhere. Nope, it's still in town. I sold it for 30,700.

It's listed for: $33,990

Interesting.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Carvana finally gave me an offer on my 2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk with 21K miles (original MSRP $97,970-No accidents/No issues/well maintained).

Carvana offer = $68,500 lol

I have been watching used vehicle prices and 2018's Trackhawks with similar options and mileage are selling for over $80K.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve thought about selling my 2017 F250 Lariat crew cab FX4 with the 6.7 Powerstroke a couple of times now, but the thing is I would have to replace it with another truck, and they’re not cheap right now. I really don’t need a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Two things I noticed about carvana:

they have a hard time pricing specialty models, IE trackhawk, demons, etc.

if they DONT want your vehicle, they will lowball the offer.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Hate to say it....but I ran my 2016 just for grins and giggles....they offered way more than anybody else.....$24,000 for 28,000 miles....

Now if I could get a Ford dealer to take that on trade toward a new GT500....?

noco5.0

Established Member
Carvana offered over 34k for my 2018 Explorer Sport. My lease is up in a couple of months and the buyout is 29k. Think I'm just going to buy it myself and have my wife drive it for a few more years.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Completed my sale of my RS5 to Carvana this past Saturday. It was smooth and easy. Received my money electronically deposited at 7AM this morning.

Here's my take on the overall transaction.

- Minimal communication through the process, which could be good or bad depending on the person. Minimal contact options to talk to a real person.

- Carvana didn't cover my area with drop offs or pick ups. I had to drive a little over an hour to a city within a 100 mile radius of one of their offices to physically hand off my car. I got to pick the transaction location, as long as it was a public business with a parking lot. Had to keep the faith they would show up as planned, and they did.

- The guy that did show up was on time, but had no indication he was official Carvana: no sign on the car, no branded gear, not even a Carvana business card. This left me a little puzzled. My wife was worried, but I assured her there are less risky methods to commit grand theft auto.

- Minimal paperwork. It took maybe 15 minutes before we were on our way, leaving behind the RS5 to wait for the contracted flatbed tow truck to pick up the car sometime later.

Overall, definitely the easy button to sell your car.

If I was inclined to buy a car from Carvana, I'm not convinced I'd get a clean, no hassle used car experience from the way they buy cars. How do they evaluate the used cars they buy, or do they leave that up to potential future owners and the 7 day no hassle return?

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

My94GT

Established Member
Completed my sale of my RS5 to Carvana this past Saturday. It was smooth and easy. Received my money electronically deposited at 7AM this morning.

Overall, definitely the easy button to sell your car.

If I was inclined to buy a car from Carvana, I'm not convinced I'd get a clean, no hassle used car experience from the way they buy cars. How do they evaluate the used cars they buy, or do they leave that up to potential future owners and the 7 day no hassle return?

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Exactly that. I run a collision repair shop and one of the direct repair relationships we work with is silver rock, the insurance that carvana uses. If someone is pat their 7 day period they place a claim with silver rock and we write an estimate for all damages that we see and they determine what they will pay for. A lot of what we see is poor prior repairs done to these cars.

if someone sees areas of concern with in the 7 day period we write an estimate and carvana pays out the bill or instructs the customer to return the vehicle.

personally based on what I see, I’d be hesitant to buy from them.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I ran my old beat up Duramax just for grins and got an offer for $6,248. I'd like to get closer to $10k for it, but I'm dreading the hassle of selling it.

velocicaur

Established Member
My truck is fully listed with pictures: 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Carvana

I cannot believe they didn't fix the scratch/mark on page 18. It didn't look like much in person and I think they could have fixed it with a little paint correction/touch up/buff and it would look like new again. It was annoying because it is on the driver side and it stood out because it's white on a red truck. There's nothing like walking up to a 34k truck to be met with that mark. They put 10 miles on it since it left my house so someone drove it a little. I assume they checked for any issues.

Like others have said, I would be very hesitant to buy something from them. I'm not yet willing to pay a premium for a used car. I know they deliver it and you have a week to check it out but still, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Another update: I'm still on the search for a new car and I've been pricing them against Carvana offers. Auto trader has the VIN numbers for all the cars. It takes a minute to copy and paste that into Carvana and fill out the basic information and you get an offer. Most cars listed as "great price" are <$1000 away from their offer. It's hard to go wrong then. Great resource.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Carvana offered over 34k for my 2018 Explorer Sport. My lease is up in a couple of months and the buyout is 29k. Think I'm just going to buy it myself and have my wife drive it for a few more years.
Pretty much same offer and scenario for our 18 Explorer Sport but might get rid of it. Might have problems with U Joint as it clunks whenever I switch from Park to Drive or Reverse. Lately, it's also been hesitating when I go WOT. SUV barely broke 19k miles, not tune or anything. Dealer is taking a look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread