Career Advice

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
UPDATE: I put in for the position. They also been interviewing external candidates for the position. I'm hoping for an interview next week. Thanks for the honest opinions everyone.

There is a supervisor position opening up at work. I was told by my direct lead that I should apply (she said it is very likely I would get the position).

The Pros:
-More $ (unsure of the exact increase at this point)
-More direct influence over what happens on the team.
-Less BS that I put up with now
-Moving to a new team/work stream (I don’t enjoy the work on my current team)
-It will look great on my resume as a ‘supervisor’

The Cons:
-My direct lead is moving to the new team, I would still report to her, which is an issue b/c she annoys the hell out of me at times (and she likes me almost more than a friend and wants to keep me close it seems).
-I’m giving up my old position BS, and getting new BS as a supervisor (dealing more directly with higher ups).
-The position is on an entirely new team and has a lot of flaws since its new (it will take time to make adjustments).
-With my current position, I’m usually able to leave at a set time. As a supervisor, I’d of course be required to attend late meetings and such.

Would you make the move?

Last edited:

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Seems pretty basic to me, do you want to advance or stay where you are.

Any upward movement career wise brings with it new responsibilities and challenges.

I'd go for it.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yup, seems like a no brainer. More money, more responsibility and more experience in case you want to move on to a different employer in the future.

rancid

Established Member
Very big misconception of less "bs" to put up with. I've been a manager for 6 yrs now and have had teams in size vary from 14 guys down to 5. Frequent career growth discussions, goal setting, reporting, meetings, etc are important and you not only have the daily stress/problems of your life but theirs now as well to some extent.

People think managers do nothing and I agree, the bad ones don't but the good ones that excel do 2x the amount of work as a tech at times. If you can be fully committed and not do it for the "coolness" factor go for it.

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Embrace the increased responsibilities and bullshit your new opportunity may provide! The BS, or the lack of it, determines the type of leader it will shape you to be!

Machdup1

Established Member
It depends. Are you a leader?

Do you want to deal with everyone head aches?

Do you like herding cats?

Are you willing to put in the time and effort to get the job done?

Can you be successful in the role?

Is the mission of the team achieveable?

Can you manage the personalities on the team?

Are you good at planning?

Are you patient?

Do you mind being tasked with the impossible and then be held responsible when you don't succeed.

What has prepared you to be a good manager?

Will you be developed as a manager or are you expected to just do it?

Is the person you will report to a rational individual?

What is their political position currently like with upper management?

What type of personality do you have?

Are you an effective communicator?

Are you driven to improve yourself and become better at what you do?

etc., etc., etc.

All of these factors and many more go into determining if you can be a good manager. Remember, once you go management, you can never go back to being an worker again at the company. So if it doesn't work out, you are unemployed.

If you answer the above questions and you have no issue with any of them, take the job and enjoy the ride. If the above questions caused you hesitation, think long and hard if this particular opportunity is right for you.

_Ghost_

Established Member
TLDR: Find out the increase in pay, if it's good enough then take it. Don't waste an oppotunity to advance.

There is no job out there where you're going to escape BS. It's always there, it just depends on whether or not you let it get to you. This is an opportunity to move up, I don't know about you, but in my company this doesn't happen all the time. If you don't take it, how long until it comes up again? If you don't know, then you need to take it. You need to build up that resume so that, let's say if a year or 2 from now it doesn't workout you have already built up your resume with something telling people "Hey, I have experience and I'm worth the $$ for this job that I'm applying for."

Experience is the thing people want to see on resumes, and it's not always easy to get, you have a chance to get it so do yourself, and your future a favor, and take it. Realize this though, you're going to have to work longer, you are going have to work harder, but a few years from now after it's all over, you'll realize it was worth it. Anyone who has ever made it in life has had to put in long hours and hard work, it's part of the criteria of being successful.

The choice is yours, but just realize what you're gaining and what your giving up should you choose to not take the job.

TorchMach

Established Member
The way to better yourself, is to prove yourself. That is the American dream, I have no sympathy for people who sponder their gifts...it's sickining....its worse then sickining...its unpatriotic.

Are you a doer or a don'ter? Don't be a dont'er....say it like you mean it..

in all seriousness yes you should do it. change is good.

Last edited:

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I'm a do'er! Lol. But in all seriousness with more power comes more responsibility. We have guys at my company that are operators for life and they are happy. I myself can't stand working under idiots so I tried moving up as quickly as possible. As a supervisor u make the rules and shit gets done your way. It's hard work and it takes dedication. Choose wisely. And I agree with the guy who said piihb. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread