Career advice…time for something new

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Back story…I’m 40 with an Art degree (not a wise choice in hindsight), been in logistics and warehousing most of my life, but I need more money and a career in which my hard work will be rewarded. Hard work has just gotten me more work, but no reward.

I’ve been a my current employer 3 years. About to move up the ladder to a warehouse management position because my manager is pursuing something else, but the small company is loosing money due to mismanagement and lack of backbone by owners. The open books policy discloses our monthly financials…and somehow we barely keep the lights on… it’s frustrating and sad. Been an issue for 2years, very surprised another layoff hasn’t happened.

Sooo, I’ve chosen to move on to something. I need a position where I have more opportunities and can make more money. Since my son was born (almost 2 now), my drive has changed a lot. I want more for him and my wife and I.

From what I keep seeing, the only careers that will net me more money is a sales position of some kind (without going back to school). I’ve worked in new home sales and beverage sales in the past. I enjoyed new home sales, but it made for some long weekends of working. Ideally, I’d find a M-F schedule, but can put in extra hours as needed. I need weekend time with my family.

Lastly, we have enough to get by and I’m very thankful for the blessings we have. But at the end of the day, more money means better things and more stability.

What’s SVTP got to say? Any particular industries that I should look at?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Willing to relocate ?
What about that 11 million open jobs I keep hearing about, none in logisitcs / warehousing ? ( Amazon ?? )

My94GT

Established Member
Collision repair. Easy street to a 6 figure job in about 2-3 years of head down hard work if one wants to put in the effort.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
What did you do in logistics? A transportation company might give you good opportunity without having to go to school again. CH Robinson, Schneider, JB Hunt, something like that.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Why not stay in logistics? My wife is trying to hire a logistics manager for about 6 months. That position pays up to $125k/yr DOE.

You're 40 y/o, focus on what you know and have experience with. Take whatever training you can find and afford and network with other people in logistics.

Don't fall for that faggity "Do what make's you happy" millennial philosophy.
Do what you can do that will afford you the lifestyle you want to live.

mariusvt

Established Member
Anything you do, if you do it well the reward is always more work. Other than that there's lots of jobs out there right now especially if you're willing to relocate.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Maybe a trades job like an electrician or plumber. Or get an entry level position like maintenance staff at a national laboratory and move into higher paying position in time.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Willing to relocate ?
What about that 11 million open jobs I keep hearing about, none in logisitcs / warehousing ? ( Amazon ?? )
We would love to relocate, but we have strong family ties here. Not sure about job availability, haven’t started applying yet.
Collision repair. Easy street to a 6 figure job in about 2-3 years of head down hard work if one wants to put in the effort.
I can’t imagine apprentice jobs pay well, but I do understand a high demand. 6 figure, for standard repair? Is this your situation or anecdotal?
There are a lot of openings in law enforcement right now.
My dream in my late 20s was to become a Trooper. My physical heart had some issues, which I’ve since had corrected. Nowadays, it doesn’t work with a family. Still much respect and admiration for LEOs.
What did you do in logistics? A transportation company might give you good opportunity without having to go to school again. CH Robinson, Schneider, JB Hunt, something like that.
I’ve looked at the big guys in the past. At the time, I didn’t have quite enough experience and the pay wasn’t great locally. I will look again though.
Become a welder. Serious demand and lack of supply is a real problem = 6 figure income.
I’ll look into it. 6 figure income sounds great, but I imagine that is for a very seasoned welder with many years of knowledge. Yes/no?
Why not stay in logistics? My wife is trying to hire a logistics manager for about 6 months. That position pays up to $125k/yr DOE.

You're 40 y/o, focus on what you know and have experience with. Take whatever training you can find and afford and network with other people in logistics.

Don't fall for that faggity "Do what make's you happy" millennial philosophy.
Do what you can do that will afford you the lifestyle you want to live.
That sounds like amazing pay. PM sent. I agree, I should focus on what I know….if it’ll get me where I want to be. I fell for the do what makes you happy line when I was much younger. My priorities and needs are much different now.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Since you know about logistics and I'm sure you've made connections over the years, did you ever think about becoming a freight broker? Or working for a brokering company that deals with freight?

the beverage sales is another possibility, you live in a big city

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Since you know about logistics and I'm sure you've made connections over the years, did you ever think about becoming a freight broker? Or working for a brokering company that deals with freight?

the beverage sales is another possibility, you live in a big city
Freight brokerage market is very saturated. I get calls everyday from brokers. What the industry need is drivers…long haul and some LTL.

I thought about going back into beverage sales. I worked for Coca Cola back in the day. …over worked and underpaid in my experience….if you did the job correctly. As a field rep, I did enjoy being on my own most of the day though.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Update your resume, try LinkedIn/ Indeed. Headhunters will probably call you in a short period of time.
Side note you should Never have to pay a headhunter.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
So you want to not work as hard, work M-F, and make more money.

Welcome to the millennial mindset.

Sales is great, if you're good at it.
Yes and no. I work hard now, and want to be rewarded for going above and beyond.

When I worked in new home sales, there were many weekends and late week nights….sometimes with no payoff. Just how it goes.

Always a trade off, since ‘hours worked’ doesn’t necessarily mean money made.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes and no. I work hard now, and want to be rewarded for going above and beyond.

When I worked in new home sales, there were many weekends and late week nights….sometimes with no payoff. Just how it goes.

Always a trade off, since ‘hours worked’ doesn’t necessarily mean money made.

I vote you stay out of sales.

PC03GT

Established Member
If you're in shape, get in to a utility. It's a 4 to 5 year apprenticeship and easy six figure salary after the first year

Users who are viewing this thread