Carbon fiber wrap on inside and/or outside bits?

cbehr

Established Member
Looking for a few small cheapish winter projects to do while the car sits from Oct-May. Was considering trying my hand at wrapping a few items in carbon fiber film. I was thinking of a few inside trim pieces and possibly the front/rear plastic bottom lips on the bumpers? Anyone have success with this or am I going down a ghetto/ricer route that just looks fake or cheap?

The faded black plastic around the cobra emblem really bothers me too, what are people doing about this, just painting it?

Inkedfront_LI_Moment.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The faded black plastic around the cobra emblem really bothers me too, what are people doing about this, just painting it?

I re-did all those parts on my lightning using black bumper trim paint. I scrubbed the parts with simple green the day before and rinsed thoroughly, then a coat of adhesion promoter then the trim paint.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I spent half the day peeling that crap of an interior of a Cobra I'd bought.
It was damn sure stuck on good, just couldn't live with it.

cbehr

Established Member
I spent half the day peeling that crap of an interior of a Cobra I'd bought.
It was damn sure stuck on good, just couldn't live with it.

Was it just not your style or did it look cheap/crappy?

94slowbra1

Established Member
If you are going to wrap in CF make sure there is no real CF on the car. If it's done correctly it looks good. I've never had it in exterior stuff but I'd imagine the sun and heat would take its toll on it eventually.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
The way you circled the items in yellow, I thought you were trying to be a dodge ricer or something at first glance. Then I see what you’re really wanting to do, still rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCDriller

Established Member
View attachment 1598420View attachment 1598421
You can do real carbon from carbon driven

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I just installed their full kit on my 03 sonic blue and there was a couple issues. My 12v didn't fit, it was much smaller than the hole in the carbon driven unit. Also there is a 1/4" gap between the radio bezel and the shifter bezel. I know these cars have larger gaps there but this one is BIG. How does yours fit?

Attachments

• F9340C99-C2A9-4FEA-9AE9-D8C54A5B844E.jpeg
    F9340C99-C2A9-4FEA-9AE9-D8C54A5B844E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90

cbehr

Established Member
Their stuff does look nice but I'm too cheap :( Where did you get that badge in front of the shifter JCDriller??

JCDriller

Established Member
Their stuff does look nice but I'm too cheap :( Where did you get that badge in front of the shifter JCDriller??

It came with the car and the original owner doesn't recall. If you google it there are several sources for parts like that, I just haven't taken the time yet to look them up. I want to get a set made for my DSG.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just installed their full kit on my 03 sonic blue and there was a couple issues. My 12v didn't fit, it was much smaller than the hole in the carbon driven unit. Also there is a 1/4" gap between the radio bezel and the shifter bezel. I know these cars have larger gaps there but this one is BIG. How does yours fit?

It does have a gap there, doesn’t bother me, it’s tight on the edges. I used a little glue to get the 12v to fit. I expected some issues and got way less problems then expected so I am happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I took the car for a drive last night and took another look at that gap, mine is only about an eighth of an inch so it’s not noticeable enough to be a concern

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JCDriller

Established Member
I took the car for a drive last night and took another look at that gap, mine is only about an eighth of an inch so it’s not noticeable enough to be a concern

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I may try to put a spacer in somewhere some how to push them together. I’ll mess with it later today. I’m glad your enjoying that car, it’s the one that got away.

Users who are viewing this thread