Carbon Fiber Wheel Tire Change WITHOUT Damage! (How To) video

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
In this video, I show 3 different experiences I had changing tires on my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP carbon fiber wheels. I tried 3 different shops and had some nervous moments with these $6,000 wheels. The last shop turned out to be the best option, with the best machine. This video is to show HOW to change tires on carbon fiber wheels WITHOUT damage!

railroad

Established Member
As usual, super job on providing info.
I was nervous and had no dog in the fight.
I get the shop owner to come out, when I get tires changed on my rims too.

Goose17

Established Member
As usual, super job on providing info.
I was nervous and had no dog in the fight.
I get the shop owner to come out, when I get tires changed on my rims too.
Thanks… appreciate it!

It’s very easy to “dork-up” one of these wheels when you don’t know what you are doing. Hopefully this video saves some headache.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't have the time to watch 15 minutes of video, so can you answer 2 questions. When you contacted the three shops, did you specifically check their credentials and equipment, including if they had worked on CF wheels and were trained to change tires on a CF wheel?

Goose17

Established Member
I don't have the time to watch 15 minutes of video, so can you answer 2 questions. When you contacted the three shops, did you specifically check their credentials and equipment, including if they had worked on CF wheels and were trained to change tires on a CF wheel?
I did not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks, I was just curious, because whenever I had expensive wheels on past cars I owned I always first verified that the shop (A) had the necessary equipment to ensure a safe wheel experience, (B) had techs properly trained/experienced on that equipment, and (C) and had sufficient experience using that equipment to mount tires on expensive/custom wheels. I probably have dealt with 2-3 shops in this regard. I would never allow a shop to work on an expensive wheel like the GT-500 CF wheels without complete assurance from the shop and confidence in the shop's capabilities.

Thanks for the reply!

Goose17

Established Member
Thanks, I was just curious, because whenever I had expensive wheels on past cars I owned I always first verified that the shop (A) had the necessary equipment to ensure a safe wheel experience, (B) had techs properly trained/experienced on that equipment, and (C) and had sufficient experience using that equipment to mount tires on expensive/custom wheels. I probably have dealt with 2-3 shops in this regard. I would never allow a shop to work on an expensive wheel like the GT-500 CF wheels without complete assurance from the shop and confidence in the shop's capabilities.

Thanks for the reply!
I confirmed they had the correct machines, but most techs have never worked with CF wheels.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
There is nothing special about mounting a CF wheel vs a high end alloy. I called Carbon Revolution when buying a tire machine, to see if any specific things I should look out for. Cosmetic damage is slightly easier. This is assuming a "touchless" tire machine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread