Car wont stay on, need help asap!

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
THe last few weeks ive been having some rough startups. It would start and die right away. Then i discovered i just had to give it a quick blip of the gas the second it started and it would stay on. As if it were carburated..Well this morning, thaaat didnt work. If i give it gas itll stay on if i keep my foot on the throttle but the second i get off it dies. What can this be??? :bash:

edit: when my foots on the throttle, it seems to run/sound great. No missfire, bucking, nada. If i didnt have to keep my foot on the gas youd swear nothing was wrong

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
Yeah that sounds like the IAC. You can take it off and try to clean it but they aren't that expensive and it's very easy to change. It should be right behind the upper intake near the throttle body. It looks like a small silver canister.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
well i cleaned out the iat and it did nothing. Im heading to autozone or kragen to find a replacement. Hopefully that works out

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
btw how do i do a fuel pressure test? I also happen to have a FPR sitting in my garage from when my MAF went out and i was just throwin parts at it about a year ago, lol.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
replaced the IAC completely with a part from Autozone. Cars purin like a kittin :). Thanks fellas. $44 fix is fine by me any day :D

trxcobra

Established Member
replaced the IAC completely with a part from Autozone. Cars purin like a kittin :). Thanks fellas. $44 fix is fine by me any day :D

same thing happened to my car on my first startup with a new motor... such a relief to find a cheap and easy fix!

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
same thing happened to my car on my first startup with a new motor... such a relief to find a cheap and easy fix!

i feel ya. It was monday, i lost money from having to call in at work, and all i pictured was dollar signs floating around and away from me, lol. Definately a relief

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Did it only do this when cold at first mine has started to to this but after about a minunte its fine, but once to to die or ilde will drop from a 1k on a cold start to like 200rpms or it will stall start right back up, I cleaned mine didnt work, I am going to check my tp voltage and if not prolly get a IAC.

Users who are viewing this thread