Car won't start!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Here's the sich...

As some of you may recall, a while back when I was driving the car home, it randomly started surging, bucking, not holding an idle, etc. I limped the car home and parked it where it sat hooked up the the battery charger for the next few weeks.

I cleaned the MAF last week, reassembled, added fresh gas, and went to fire it today. It took 3 tries to get it to turn over. It finally started, but was a weak start, if that makes sense. I let it idle in the driveway and a couple times the idle would drop down like it was dead and then surge back. It never really sounded right. I shut it off and went about my business in the garage. A few hours later, I went to put it back and it wont fire. It turns, you can hear the starter, checked fuel shutoff, etc., but it will not fire.

Thoughts?

On the upside, I officially have (7) 4' two-bulb florescents in my garage. It's like an operating room.

Cliffs:
- Won't start
- Hanging idle
- Surging
- Already cleaned MAF, added fresh gas, checked fuel shutoff, checked connections, etc.
- Lots of light in garage

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I had my fuel pump shit out on me last winter. I just drove it one day and went to start it up a week later and nothing

Predatorbird

Established Member
So basically what you're telling us is there's going to be another delay in posting new pics?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Remove IAC, clean, reinstall. I have to do this about every 6 or 8 months with very similar symptoms to yours.

ETA: Try starting the car with the throttle partially open. When my IAC acts up and the car won't start, if I put my foot on the throttle it will fire and run, but it dies when I let off the throttle.

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I had my fuel pump shit out on me last winter. I just drove it one day and went to start it up a week later and nothing

I thought about the pump and it may very well be that.

So basically what you're telling us is there's going to be another delay in posting new pics?

lol. Indeed it does.

Remove IAC, clean, reinstall. I have to do this about every 6 or 8 months with very similar symptoms to yours.

ETA: Try starting the car with the throttle partially open. When my IAC acts up and the car won't start, if I put my foot on the throttle it will fire and run, but it dies when I let off the throttle.

IAC is newish. I'll pull it off, clean it and see what happens. I like simple fixes, so I hope that works.

I did give the car some throttle whilst trying to start it a couple times and no dice.
:lol: I'm ****ing dying with that joke...

Karma dude. Car's pissed.

Can you hear the pump at all?

I freakin' baby that car and it repays me like this! Although under a locked cover, it is sleeping outside tonight for the first time since like 2006.

Truthfully, I get really angry when the car acts up, so I tend to lose logic and not pay attention. I'll try to cycle the pump tomorrow and see if I can hear it.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
yeah I totally understand that on the logic piece. I get all red eyed and ignore the stupid things.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I plan on checking the fuel pressure next. I've poked around a bit for vacuum leaks and I think I can rule that out.

For a number of reasons dating back a few years, the fuel pump might make sense, but I'm going to see if I can find anything else before going through that hassle. Keep the suggestions coming.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I had a problem in the past with very similar symptoms. Chased it all over the car and finally found a bad throttle position sensor as the cause. Might check it out.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Might be the FPRS on the fuel rail - leave the vacuum line attached and just disconnect the electrical connector and try to start it and see what happens.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I had a problem in the past with very similar symptoms. Chased it all over the car and finally found a bad throttle position sensor as the cause. Might check it out.

Will check. Thanks.

Agreed, but I was addressing the surging and bucking previously. For some reason I just have a gut feeling there is more then one thing off here...

That's certainly a possibility. I guess I never paid attention, but the car for some time now has occasionally struggled to start. I never thought anything of it, but that couldn't that be indicative of a failing fuel pump or a relay that's going bad? Based on what I've read from people with similar symptoms, those seem like the most likely candidates.

Might be the FPRS on the fuel rail - leave the vacuum line attached and just disconnect the electrical connector and try to start it and see what happens.

I'll try that hopefully tonight when I get home.

I'm going to pick up the fuel pressure tester today. When I get that done, I'll report what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread