Car won't pull past 5,400rpm in 2nd, 3rd gear. but it does in 1st

Matthew-Cody

Established Member
Went for a spirited weekend drive and 1st gear pulls strong to redline but then noticed that 2nd and 3rd gear would just completely cut power and limit it to about 5,400rpm give or take. The car has a smaller pulley, intake, exhaust and tune. It been with this setup for a little over 2 years and always pulled strong all the way in all gears. Gonna take it to my shop to get all fluids changed and spark plus soon but not sure if this is mechanical or tuning related. Also sorry I do not have my AFE failsafe gauge installed so can't see liee AFR. but just to clarify it doesn't loose power/weaken it literally just cuts me off like a rev limiter but now about 1k earlier than previously.

If anyone knows off the top of their head what could be causing this issue to lead me in the right direction as far as diagnosing it that would be greatly appreciated! sorry if I sound like a noob for my description of the issue I'm not as mechanically inclined as many on the forums I'm sure it will be recommended to have my gauge installed I just haven't been able to get around to it. thank you again!

Aloha,
Matthew

Matthew-Cody

Established Member
Awesome info guys! I appreciate the quick and helpful replies.

Since I'm bringing it to the shop for its annual maintenance this week I will see if we can start with the fuel filter while its at my mechanic. If that doesn't solve the problem ill try the data log and then anticipate fuel pumps! The car has 5,500 miles on the clock and I don't get to drive it too often so not much stuff usually comes up. Was a bit worried but feel much better about it already. Will keep you boys posted

Mahalo!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Awesome info guys! I appreciate the quick and helpful replies.

Since I'm bringing it to the shop for its annual maintenance this week I will see if we can start with the fuel filter while its at my mechanic. If that doesn't solve the problem ill try the data log and then anticipate fuel pumps! The car has 5,500 miles on the clock and I don't get to drive it too often so not much stuff usually comes up. Was a bit worried but feel much better about it already. Will keep you boys posted

Mahalo!
Anymore it's not the mileage, it's the time. These cars are getting old and things are going to start failing just from the time frame.

Matthew-Cody

Established Member
Anymore it's not the mileage, it's the time. These cars are getting old and things are going to start failing just from the time frame.
Definitely, I am realizing that each year that goes by that is just another year older all the parts are so it seems inevitable for stuff like this to happen. Well worth it for the Cobra as its brought more joy to drive than any other enthusiast car I've been lucky enough to have owned!

Matthew-Cody

Established Member
Sorry forgot to update and thank everyone for their input. When I brought it in to get most of the major fluids flushed by my mechanic I had him start with the fuel filter and that didn't fix it. So as soon as I got home I ordered new fuel pumps, swapped those out and its as strong as ever! thank you all for the knowledge and recommendations, I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread