Car will barely run, running out of ideas, need help

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
First, some back story. Purchased the car in October, drove it home 300 miles, ran perfect. Parked it for the next 6 months because of winter. Over the winter I swapped out the stock MAF and Mafia for a BA3000, did the EGR delete, installed a catch can, changed plugs and gapped them to .028. Contacted a reputable tuner from the site and loaded a base tune. Fast forward to spring, drained the old gas and dumped in some fresh 93oct, go to start the car and it sounds terrible and will barely stay running. Started to trouble shoot at this point.....installed a new BA3000, cleaned the IACV, double and triple checked vac lines for leaks and made sure they were in the correct places, sprayed starting fluid around the blower, etc. Nothing helped. Tuner sent me a few different tunes to try, still no luck. With the MAF connected the car will barely even run, unplug the MAF and it smoothes out a lot but still doesn't sound like it should, sounds like a cammed big block. Checked the plugs, completely back, pig rich. Wide band is all over the place, once it settles it pegs at 22.4, super lean, makes zero sense. With the MAF connected there is an overpowering smell of fuel coming from the exhaust, unplugged it gets better but still pig rich. Pulled the DTC's, P1000 P0243 P2195 P2197. Tuner said the first two codes are of no concern during a base tune, 2195 and 2197 are upstream O2 sensors lean. Cleared the codes and only P1000 and P0243 came back. I removed the catch can and installed new plugs out of curiosity, no improvement. Installed a fuel pressure gauge, reading 31-33psi during idle. Other mods to the car are Whipple 2.3, twin Ford GT pumps, single modded FPDM. The x pipe and catback are currently off of the car, running thru open headers, rear O2's are disconnected, I would assume they would be disabled in the base tune. Next step is to install new upstream O2's. I've attached video's of the start up and idle with and without the MAF connected and pics of the plugs. I'm running out of ideas and things to try, getting frustrated. Anyone had the same issue's or can possibly shed some light on what may going on?

Vids

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
image-2019-05-30.jpg
image-2019-05-30 (2).jpg

Chuckles

Not sure about your problem with the car, but not sure how far away from North Carolina you are Fastlane Motor Sports are the doctors when in comes to these cars. They fixed my 03 cobra when nobody else could. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Base pressure not set to ~39psi? Sounds like a tune issue to me, or maybe line leak in tank?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Going to pick up a new one and see if it helps. After reading some threads about FRPS's that are bad or on their way out, I see a lot of the same issues.

No need to buy one without checking the old one. I've pulled mine off and tried to blow through it. If you can blow through it, it's bad. If you can't, it's good.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Popped the FRPS off and tried to blow thru it, no go. Still good. Been talking with my tuner, gonna do some datalogging and go from there.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you checked the injectors the coil plugs and the fuel pump?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Put your old maf back in and reload your previous tune. If it was running fine before winter and they you changed parts and new tune...... Chances are it's your tune that's off. Those plugs are toast, you will need to swap them back out..... Or be cleaned at a minimum

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tighteyes

Established Member
Change the fuel rail pressure sensor my 08 5.4 block did something similar after throwing a code for fuel pressure during a wot car ran like garbage got home barely ran.... also sounds like you have a big cam in that motor?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Put your old maf back in and reload your previous tune. If it was running fine before winter and they you changed parts and new tune...... Chances are it's your tune that's off. Those plugs are toast, you will need to swap them back out..... Or be cleaned at a minimum

I would go this route. Might as well go back to the control group and see if the maf and tune change take her back to normal. That could rule out a mechanical issue.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member

Sold my old maf and Mafia :(

Users who are viewing this thread