Car will barely run......help.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Purchased my 03 in November, drove it home 300 miles the day I got it and it ran great, didn't miss a beat. Parked it for winter as soon as I got home and gathered parts for the next few months. Just recently finished installing everything and had a reputable tuner from the site work me up a base tune. Downloaded the tune and started the car for the first time since November and it will barely stay running. Idle is all over the place and it's really choppy when giving it throttle. When I purchased the car it was running the stock MAF with a Mafia setup, I swapped this out for a BA3000 MAF as well as did the EGR delete. I unplugged the maf while the car was running and it smoothed right out, figured the MAF was bad. Installed a new BA3000 and it does the same exact thing, unplugged it and it runs smooth. When the maf is plugged in, its dumping the fuel to the car, you can smell it, plugs are wet, and the afr's are off the charts. No CEL is triggered. Double checked all the vacuum lines, all good. Reached out to the tuner weeks ago and haven't received a response. The odds of two bad maf's is very unlikely, do you think the tune is way off the mark? Thoughts?

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Is your tune setup for a BA3000?

Did you add fuel stabilizer before you stored it?

It should be set up for the 3000 but I can't confirm it 100%. I let the tuner know that's what i was using. Tank was basically empty when I parked it. Got as much old fuel out of the lines as I could. Put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in the day I fired it.

bigmoose

Established Member
I'd have your injectors cleaned/flow tested at this point. Doesn't matter how much was in the tank, if fuel sat in your rails/injectors it could have gummed up. Maybe you have a stuck open injector.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The fact that it smooths out with the MAF unplugged would lead me to believe the tune is just that far out of whack. And if you can't get a response I'd be looking for a new tuner.

Bullyent

Established Member
Bullyent that one almost seems like a idle air controller issue
Yeah that’s what I thought too. Bought a new one still the same. I had the BA 2400 maf. Unplugged it and the car was normal idle no issue. So I got a ba2600 since the 2400 is discontinued still the same issue after MAF changed. Unplugged it and car dies so that’s working.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Definitely the tune. Mine was doing all kinds of weird crap very similar. So then I had Malcolm on here tune my car. The very first tune he sent me the issue was gone.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Mine is doing this. Are you having the same issue?

I'd be thrilled if mine was that smooth lol, it's much much worse. It will barely stay running. The best way I can describe it is, picture a big block with a gigantic cam, sounds exactly like that.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well I had some issues and it may help the OP out. He had me change over to Injector Dynamic injectors which pretty much solved every issue. Was using Deatschwerks and was just having way too many issues. While he was getting it very close with the Deatschwerks I decided to go with a more reliable name. Within a couple tunes on the Injector Dynamics he worked his magic and now the car drives like stock no joke. The OTHER thing that helped drastically was using a SLOT MAF like the newer Mustangs use.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Definitely the tune. Mine was doing all kinds of weird crap very similar. So then I had Malcolm on here tune my car. The very first tune he sent me the issue was gone.

That's what im thinking also, checked most everything else off of the list. I'll reach out to Malcolm and see if he can help me get the bugs worked out.

Bullyent

Established Member
That's what im thinking also, checked most everything else off of the list. I'll reach out to Malcolm and see if he can help me get the bugs worked out.
Dang that’s no fun. I pretty much checked everything off too. IAC MAF TPS. No codes...... sprayed the vac lines nothing. If it was an intake gasket or something it would definitely have a code right? I’m not going crazy? Lol

Bullyent

Established Member
Well I had some issues and it may help the OP out. He had me change over to Injector Dynamic injectors which pretty much solved every issue. Was using Deatschwerks and was just having way too many issues. While he was getting it very close with the Deatschwerks I decided to go with a more reliable name. Within a couple tunes on the Injector Dynamics he worked his magic and now the car drives like stock no joke. The OTHER thing that helped drastically was using a SLOT MAF like the newer Mustangs use.
Oh ok. I believe my injectors are fine. Gears 3-6 drives fine just a slight hesitation because of the rpms dropping slightly just like at idle. 1-2 is when it really dives like it’s dead then goes back up

Users who are viewing this thread