Car went sideways on the way to work, suspension help?

sono

Established Member
So I'm on my way to work today and give it half throttle up the ramp and "forget about it" I look like one of those bad car show videos where they burn out and lose control.
Yes the tires were cold, but I'm looking for more traction without brake dive.

I have the fr3 with bmr upper, and steeda lowers. nt05 315 rears. Can't do R version as it's my DD.

Can I get away with just the rear springs? Dead Hooker type, or should I get new front and rear?

The rear sway bar is nice, but maybe its to stiff and part of the problem. Round and Round.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
No amount of suspension work is going to make a soft compound tire stick when the temps are cold.

railroad

Established Member
I installed the BMR kit from Revan Racing. See the parts in my sig. Great combo. There are some installation tips on other threads, but it is real easy on a lift. I have not pinched any holes in my seat since.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Why can't you drive on Rs again?

I drove my cobra on Rs for well over a year, rain/sleet/you name it.

Also, coworker drives his 800hp shelby all the time on R compound tires. Just gotta be smart with it.

That being said, no tire will hook when cold. Period.

GT500-2007

Established Member
Unless something is broke in your suspension, I doubt the suspension would cause the car to break loose, especially if it hasn't happened before. Going sideways is most likely cold or worn tires and a llittle too much gas on the turn. NT05s are good tires for South Florida driving and tend to hold great once they get some heat into them. The roadway could have been a bit damp. This combined with the turn, cold tires and horsepower could easily explain why the rear end broke loose.

GT

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Why can't you drive on Rs again?

I drove my cobra on Rs for well over a year, rain/sleet/you name it.

Also, coworker drives his 800hp shelby all the time on R compound tires. Just gotta be smart with it.

That being said, no tire will hook when cold. Period.

Summer time down here means heavy down pours.

Hell, even our winters at times can have a lot of medium intensity rainfall, leaving a nice layer of runoff on the roads.
I don't blame the OP for not wanting radials, especially if the drive to work is a decent distance away, and requires using the highway. I know whenever I build another fast car/truck, I'll have radials on spare rims, but not on all the time.

+5.56 to the main issue just being cold tires and a lot of horsepower.

sono

Established Member
I get the driver mod thing, ha ha, but I think I can get another layer of traction with softer rear springs, or a sway bar swap. This is not james bond s@@t, lol. Just looking for some practical input. I guess I'll start with dead hookers, and consider a rear sway bar swap.

tktlwyr

Established Member
I'm going to go with driver/tires/road/set up on this. I've got a 720 RWHP daily driver (tuned at PBH) on standard Hankook Ventus V12 radials and also live in South Florida. I also just did the suspension last week (not the FR3 handling kit), so I've been driving on a stock set up for 6 years. My car is totally drivable at that power level down here and yesterday the LOW temp was around 70* and it was dry. I've never just lost it applying a judicious amount of throttle.

Did you have your traction control off?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I get the driver mod thing, ha ha, but I think I can get another layer of traction with softer rear springs, or a sway bar swap. This is not james bond s@@t, lol. Just looking for some practical input. I guess I'll start with dead hookers, and consider a rear sway bar swap.

You have a very capable and proven suspension system on your car now. Softening up the rear while keeping the aggressive handling suspension components up front may have undesirable effects on the street. With a matched suspension system (shocks, springs, and sway bars), you maintain balance between the front and rear to keep your car planted on the street. Check your LCA and panhard bar bushings for splitting, but I think you can chalk this one up to a heavy right foot before your tires had enough heat in them, or replace your tires if you feel you need to change something.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Is the car lowered? If so are you running lower control arm relocation brackets? If not, that's definitely going to impact traction and cause you to spin with minimal effort.

sono

Established Member
Thanks for the input. The fr3 lowers the car a bit, but something seemed off. That's a good point about matched suspension. Just throwing soft rear springs may make it worse. Yes it has relocation brackets and the wheel is not centered in the wheel well, but the pinion is correct. By the way, cold in Florida is 5 minutes on the road at 70 degrees. I'm not talking 20 or 30. It was only half throttle in second, and I didn't mash it. Also the rear sway had to be tightened up in the past. I'll get it checked out and report back.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread