Car tuned for 93 octane but only 91 available near me

RS22

Established Member
I'm getting my new 04 cobra in a week or so and I was just informed that it's tuned for 93 octane but here in california we mostly have weak 91 octane. Will there be major problems if I drive it on 91 octane for a while until I can get the tune adjusted? :shrug:

RS22

Established Member
Ya comes with a diablo tuner. I've never had my terminator tuned or used a hand held tuner so this is all new to me. It's got a 2.8" pulley and 100mm idler pulley.

RS22

Established Member
Absolutely. Buy a tuner and get a new dyno tune. The alternative is mail tune with an air-fuel gauge. Brooks has a great reputation for mail tunes.

Ya thinking of getting a dyno tune from AED up in sacramento. I've only heard the best about those guys.

Just wondering if with the hand held tuner I can make some simple adjustments to be able to get into boost on 91 without causing any problems.

These cars are so much more fun when you get to hear that whine lol.

Ironhand

Banned
Depending on what the timing is already set at, I would pull 4 degrees of timing until you can get it to a dyno.

gabe1530

Banned
dont go into boost. +1 for AED. take it to shaun and have him make sure its good.
where in the bay area are you? check out norcalsvtoa.com for a good local forum. my sc on there is svt gabe.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
the solution/answer is simple. my car is tuned for 93, and in my city there is only 1 gas station that sells 93 octane (the rest is 91), and they charge close to $5 per gallon for the 93. this same gas station also sells 101 octane for close to $8 per gallon. what i usually do is fill my tank with about 10-11 gallons of 91 octane, then fill the rest of the tank with 101 octane. this puts me at or above 93 octane, and good to go! =]

you can also fill up with 91, and find a GOOD/QUALITY octane booster, that actually works, and add a can of that to your tank of gas.

as you can see from all of the different suggestions that have been offered to you, you have quite a few options! =]

good luck!

:rockon:

RS22

Established Member
dont go into boost. +1 for AED. take it to shaun and have him make sure its good.
where in the bay area are you? check out norcalsvtoa.com for a good local forum. my sc on there is svt gabe.

I'm in San Ramon. I'll check out the site :)

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I had the same dilemma when I purchased my car from GA. I spoke with the tuner(Eric Brooks) who suggested I pull 2 degrees of timing for the change it octane. I haven't got the car on a dyno and it runs great with the 91. I've even got on it several times without any issues. I plan on getting it on a dyno and mixing some 91 and 100 so that I can add the 2 degrees back. While I'm there, I'll swap the pulley and see what it'll make.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
$5.00 Dollars a gallon for 93 is nuts! Where I live 93 is at every gas station and is 20 cents more than 87. Maybe we have different laws or something. Our pumps are 87/89/93...Right now 87 is 3.19 a gallon, so 89 is 3.29, and 93 is 3.39. I feel bad for you guys that have to pay a premium for something that's common here. We do have 104(I believe it's 104) at Sunoco, but I'm not sure on the price.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Gotta love down south. 87= 2.89 89= 2.99 93= 3.09

But yes, i wouldnt be giving the car hell when its tuned for one thing and you only have 91. Hell i wouldnt even trust myself to pull timing, i would just schedule a dyno appointment right away and get it in there.

mach1033

Established Member
Throw some Torco in there until you can get the tune done. If you never dealt with these cars before then I would not suggest changing the tune around.

RS22

Established Member
Throw some Torco in there until you can get the tune done. If you never dealt with these cars before then I would not suggest changing the tune around.

Ya I think torco will be my short term solution until I can get a dyno tune from AED.

Users who are viewing this thread