Car Surveillance Suggestions

Planter

Banned
For the 3rd time in 2 months some worthless piece of garbage has hit the front driver side fender of my car. 1st time and 3rd time was my car. 2nd time was my rental car but the scratches were small enough that the rental car lady said it wouldnt require me to file a claim and said not to worry about it...god bless her.

What really pisses me off about this time is that I just got my damn car out of the body shop 2 weeks ago from getting the hood, fenders and bunpers sprayed.
2b16a9a471726c6c6d49ba7674d348b8.jpg

Unfortunately the only place to park around here is on the street, everything else is paid parking (all with waiting lists for permits/stickers) and private parking lots for residents of nearby complexes. Our place has garage parking but it is full and has a waiting list as well and I am nowhere near the top of the list.

I am about at my wits end with this asshole and its the same asshole because its always the same whitish color of paint thats rubbed off on my car's paint.

So now I want to catch this worthless piece of trash and proscute them and have them charged with hit and run. They seriously need to be held accountable for continually hitting cars. It is obvious they cannot drive and shouldnt be behind the wheel of a car to begin with. I am almost wondering if this is intentional or malicious because it keeps happening over and over.

So I need a surveillance camera that I can put in or on my car somewhere that will record them hitting my car and snag their license plate at the same time so I can turn it over to the police and let them handle it, because if I handle it...I might end up in jail and I sure dont need that lol.

ideas or recommenations on a camera?

2001sleeper

Established Member
Is it from somebody pulling out from a space next to you, a garage, or normal street traffic?
Basically, do you have an idea of who it is as I am assuming that it is always the same few people parking in your area.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I would look into one of those dash cams and set it up to record once you are parked. If the russians can do this, I am sure you could do something similar.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe it's the Asian girl who worked at the office next to ours. Hit our secretary's car twice in one day. Minor damage but tapped it twice. Found out she got her license a couple days prior to that.

Planter

Banned
Is it from somebody pulling out from a space next to you, a garage, or normal street traffic?
Basically, do you have an idea of who it is as I am assuming that it is always the same few people parking in your area.

parked on the street right alongside the front of my building. it has to be someone who is pulling in to the loading zone and swiping the front of my car with their passenger side front.

a few weeks ago I saw this car out front and it had blue paint that matched the rental I had on their passenger front fender and they had grey paint that looked like my mustangs color from the first time.
1a115be83eb6f6dc2a727a7421bacaca.jpg

02e2e2530f49ad41fed9ad283a2c3933.jpg

6fec3ec5a2578bfe117bfad4cae8af60.jpg

problem is they dont have a freaking license plate on their car. I called the police to report a car with no plates in the loading zone but they left before the cops could get there. I am pretty sure it is this person but so far havent been able to prove it or catch them in the act.

Last edited:

KevSher20

Established Member
Get a game camera from academy or something. Mount on tree or pole near your car. Night vision and clear pictures, no flash. Motion activated usually but they have ones that do videos.

Planter

Banned
not to mention the city would probably give me a ticket for putting it up on city property in the first place. I need something inside in the car.

DPD is about useless, they won't even come out and take a report, just said to file a report online. :nonono: like what's that going to do?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
How about the game camera in your car behind some kind of temporary tint or reflective material to hide it? This would piss me off to no end.

Planter

Banned
that sucks.

can you see your car from your dwelling?

I can, but it's not at an angle where I could get a license plate of the assailant vehicle.

How about the game camera in your car behind some kind of temporary tint or reflective material to hide it? This would piss me off to no end.

not sure a game camera would be small enough. you got a link to something?

believe me, I'm livid. even more so now that the DPD refuses to come out and take a report so I can actually show the officers the pictures of the suspected car.

cbj5259

Established Member
I can, but it's not at an angle where I could get a license plate of the assailant vehicle.

believe me, I'm livid. even more so now that the DPD refuses to come out and take a report so I can actually show the officers the pictures of the suspected car.
I would suggest next time to get the VIN. Should be a VIN tag on the lower left side of the windshield. The VIN will carry the owner and registration information. Even if the police won't come out to take the report and want to do it over the phone, they can run the VIN and include the information in the incident report. Unfortunately in many of the bigger cities, non reportable T/A's (no injury, no tow) are handled by phone or self reported due to lack of manpower and other calls that take priority.

oldmodman

Established Member
Costco has a dash cam on sale this month for $79.95

I records in 1080P, has a GPS location in the picture, and can be set to roll over the recordings until the car feels an impact (user adjustable) at which point it saves the previous minute and continues recording untii the Micro SD car is full.

I got two of them. Put one in the front window and one in the back. You should put on on the rear drivers side window looking forward at about a 60 degree angle. That will show the car actually striking your car as well as the license plate on the car driving off.

But why don't you bike around your neighborhood and look at all the passenger side damages.

Planter

Banned
I would suggest next time to get the VIN. Should be a VIN tag on the lower left side of the windshield. The VIN will carry the owner and registration information. Even if the police won't come out to take the report and want to do it over the phone, they can run the VIN and include the information in the incident report. Unfortunately in many of the bigger cities, non reportable T/A's (no injury, no tow) are handled by phone or self reported due to lack of manpower and other calls that take priority.

even in the case of a hit and run? I'm really regretting not reporting the other 2 incidents. the first one I was already taking the car to the body shop for previous damage. the 2nd one with the rental car, I should have but lucked out when the lady at the counter said don't worry about it.

but this is getting ridiculous. 3 times in 2 months, by apparently the same car.

cbj5259

Established Member
even in the case of a hit and run? I'm really regretting not reporting the other 2 incidents. the first one I was already taking the car to the body shop for previous damage. the 2nd one with the rental car, I should have but lucked out when the lady at the counter said don't worry about it.

but this is getting ridiculous. 3 times in 2 months, by apparently the same car.
I'm not familiar with the Colorado equivalent of the law, but in PA, a hit and run when it is unattended is a summary offense (a ticket). If it is attended (meaning that someone is actually in the victim car) at the time of the accident it is a misdemeanor (you physically get arrested). Assuming Colorado laws are similar that would probably explain the low priority nature. If your hit and run were to occur outside of Denver, I would think you would get a physical police response as I would assume those PDs are not as busy.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member

Here's a bunch of game cameras on cabela"s. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...=18&search=Search&searchTypeByFilter=TopRated

Then again...some of the other dash cams might offer promise. Having some sort of infrared trigger would be important. You don't want to have to watch hours of footage to find when a hit occurred. Some dash cams have a collision sensor...but they are pricey. My concern is someone smashing a window to grab an exposed cam. Depends on your neigh orhood.

Planter

Banned
I'm not familiar with the Colorado equivalent of the law, but in PA, a hit and run when it is unattended is a summary offense (a ticket). If it is attended (meaning that someone is actually in the victim car) at the time of the accident it is a misdemeanor (you physically get arrested). Assuming Colorado laws are similar that would probably explain the low priority nature. If your hit and run were to occur outside of Denver, I would think you would get a physical police response as I would assume those PDs are not as busy.

hmm, maybe I need to sleep in the car on a Saturday night then and that will make a real hit and run. cause the weekends is when it seems to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread