Car starts but runs like crap and shooting raw fuel out of exhaust

asierra1

Established Member
ok guys, I'm lost here. Ive been doing some work on the car off and on as money comes in. I had to send out two injectors because they weren't firing. I got the injectors back a few days ago and put them on the car today. I tried to fire it up and the car turned over once, then i heard a loud pop. I inspected everything and there wasnt anything askew. I try to start it again, and the motor turned over and then the battery died. No big deal right? I jumped it with my truck and it fired right up, but wouldn't idle at all and ran extremely rough. I got it to idle after a bit and went outside to figure out what the deal was. To my surprise, there was black stuff behind the tail pipes, and it was also leaking from the tip clamp. It was definitely an oil/gas mixture or possibly just gas mixed with carbon build up in the pipes. I looked at my wideband and it was reading between 12-and pegging out past 10. I hooked up my sct and reinstalled the tune thinking it maybe got erased. I also checked the dip stick and the oil wreaks of gas.

So here are my initial thoughts:

tune got erased but reinstalling tune had no effect. wtf?

the 2 serviced injectors are malfunctioning causing the car to go waaaaay rich, and leaking fuel down the cylinder walls.

I really want to change the oil and filter, but gas is just going to leak back down there and contaminate it all over again. Would the car be ok just idling and moving on and off a trailer until I can get it to the tuner to write up an initial tune?

I'm in dire need of some help. I need to get this problem fixed before it gets tuned 19 September, or I'll have to trailer it to dallas

thanks fellas

asierra1

Established Member
6aqaryga.jpg

da2a8une.jpg

4e7uzuhy.jpg

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Fire it up and disconnect the two injectors you had work done too. It will still run rough but if it cuts back on raw fuel you narrowed it down. Injectors on same bank or different?

asierra1

Established Member
I'll do that on Wednesday when I can get back out to the car. I moved them to different banks for accessibility. Front two cylinders on the driver side

SVT_Troy

Established Member
sounds like you popped a FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor)

Very common and can sometimes just happen out of the blue. Theres no real way that I know of to test yours except swap it out for a good one.

Normally you swap it out, pull the plugs and let it air out for a bit. Check your oil for fuel. If your oil has a fuel smell you need to do a oil change and then you'll be ready to go. The Kenne Bell FRPS disk is what most do to cure that from happening.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I didnt read your entire post until after commenting since i was already certain it was a popped FRPS. With you saying your oil is mixed with fuel I'm certain its just your FRPS.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START YOUR CAR AGAIN!

#1. Order a FRPS disk from Kenne Bell
#2. Change oil/filter
#3. Change all plugs
#4. Change FRPS

#5. Enjoy car again!

asierra1

Established Member
Lol I wish it was that easy. I have a return style system with no frps provision. The sensor was replaced with a regulator on the factory rail.

That def would have been one of my first thoughts otherwise. Thanks though!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
ah i didnt see that mentioned in your post or sig. Well that definitely changes things alot!

I'd hate to waste oil but i wouldnt start my car with a oil/gas mixture. I would just get some cheap oil to through in there while playing around with it. Run a half of quart through the same filter to flush it out and call it one while figuring it out.

You need to post more details.
Has your car ran since the return system was put on?
What was changed since the last time it ran?
Whats your fuel system consist of right now?
Are you getting spark?

asierra1

Established Member
Car was running with the return system. In fact, it was extremely lean. Thats why I'm ditching the amazon tune, and getting it dyno tuned later this month. The only things that changed since the car was running are the two injectors, and I replaced the IAT2 sensor. Other than that, nothing was changed or modified. This is why I'm pretty lost. I'll throw some oil in it on wednesday, and check to see if the two replaced injectors are malfunctioning. I also have access to my buddies cobra who also has 80lbers like me, so I'll swap two of his on and hopefully that gets me somewhere.

Fuel system is an aeromotive a1000 pump, -10 feed, -8 return, magnafuel reg mounted on the factory rail, and 80lb injectors.

The car was getting spark to the best of my knowledge. It would eventually idle, but if i gave it any gas, it would begin to shake and run very rough. I'm thinking fouled plugs are the culprit.

asierra1

Established Member
I'll see if I can get some data logging done tomorrow. I don't have the FireWire hooked up to the wideband though. Would that be a red flag hindering you from properly reading the data logs?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I'll see if I can get some data logging done tomorrow. I don't have the FireWire hooked up to the wideband though. Would that be a red flag hindering you from properly reading the data logs?

No, I can get a pretty good guess of what it is with just STFT. My bet is they are WAAAAYYYY out of wack.

asierra1

Established Member
Ok so I changed the plugs (all fouled), swapped the two injectors, and changed the oil today. Car still runs extremely rich and dies at start up if I don't help it. I'm going to trailer it down to Dallas and just drop it off at hpp. Hopefully they can get the tune ironed out.

Bad juju
agary3u4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread