Car sounds way different when cold??

SicShelby09

Banned
Now that the cold weather is here. I have noticed that my car sounds way louder and more rough when its cold. Not running rough, just the sound is more mean. It takes it a good 5-10 minutes of driving before it gets fully warmed up now, and sounds normal again. I have a completely stock exhaust accept magnaflow muffler deletes. This just started last week since it got cold out, and now I notice it every day. Anyone else notice this? Once the car warms up, its normal again. And it runs great with no check engine lights.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
i have the remote start feature on my car and every morning when i start my car its so loud it rumbles mine and my neighbors house. Its violent loud when its really cold. It lasts for about 15 seconds then seems to settle down. Mustangs don't like the cold i guess. I also have the muffler deletes.

SicShelby09

Banned
i have the remote start feature on my car and every morning when i start my car its so loud it rumbles mine and my neighbors house. Its violent loud when its really cold. It lasts for about 15 seconds then seems to settle down. Mustangs don't like the cold i guess. I also have the muffler deletes.

Mine is more when driving. The idle sounds the same, but now when I drive it, it sounds like the cats are off. Maybe they are deteriorating.

ViciousJay

Established Member
hahahaha I know. I was curious. I have never had this happen on any of my other cars before. Im going offroad H anyway soon, so I guess it doesnt matter.

honestly i have an o/r h and the gt500 mufflers and its tame even on the highway in the cold, i do at times re wish i would have installed 3.55 gears rather then 3.90's but cruising at 2500 isnt all that bad, even the fiancee hasnt bitched about it which is intriguing

dynasty_365

Established Member
This is funny I was just talking about this yesterday with stripperpolef150. When it's cold outside even stock exhaust is louder and deeper. It's normal. Loved the way my 04gt eith flowmasters sounded when the cold hit. Muscle cars love cool weather

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Your car runs richer when it's cold out, or at least until the engine warms up.

Richer = louder. It's noticeable even when it's warm out.

SicShelby09

Banned
Your car runs richer when it's cold out, or at least until the engine warms up.

Richer = louder. It's noticeable even when it's warm out.

Yeah I know it is. But this is different. I actually pulled over because it sounded like an exhaust pipe came off. But after a few minutes its started to sound normal. Granted I have not owned this car during the cold months. I bought it this year in june, so this is the coldest its been since I have had it. And dont get me wrong. Its sounds great. Its like a much deeper, throatier sound. More interior drone too. Sounds like a chamber muffler.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
Same here. When I fire up the Blazer in the morning, everything in my trailer shakes. After a few minutes, the idle drops down to a level at the rest of my neighbors in the park can deal with. Maybe 4" straight pipes were not such a good idea when I have to leave at 1:00 in the morning to work the restocking shift. Oh well, **** 'em. American horsepower FTMFW.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Spark
Fuel
Cam Timing

ALL act different when the car is cold, and now thats its getting really cold up north...you will notice it more until the car gets to a certain temp. Kinda like how older cars will stay in open loop longer when its cold out. Same thing here.

Chris

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Sic,

by any chance does it sound like a cement mixer? LOL Mine does this EVERY cold morning when i start it up not at idle or anything but when i rev it, starts to sound like loud gurgling/ cement mixer till it warms up. I thought it was the transmission but idk...

SicShelby09

Banned
Sic,

by any chance does it sound like a cement mixer? LOL Mine does this EVERY cold morning when i start it up not at idle or anything but when i rev it, starts to sound like loud gurgling/ cement mixer till it warms up. I thought it was the transmission but idk...

No, my car is just louder and deeper like I went from my muffler deletes to an offroad H and flowmaster mufflers.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
lol I just put heartthrob cat delete pipes on so I can't really tell much. It just sounds beastly when I first start it up in the morning. Good thing most of my neighbors leave before I do in the morning.

dynasty_365

Established Member
Down here in Baton Rouge we only probably get to enjoy cold crank starts maybe 3-4 weeks out of a year and it's spaced out. It's never really cold here for long :-/

scott_0

Established Member
yeah normal until it reaches operating temp man I gotta say your car looks great in your sig picture!

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Funny! Temp dropped about 10 degrees. I started my car in the office garage and could not believe it, I actually got back out of the car. Man those Kooks muffs sound sweet!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Funny! Temp dropped about 10 degrees. I started my car in the office garage and could not believe it, I actually got back out of the car. Man those Kooks muffs sound sweet!

come to chicago, it was 23* outside this morning, in my garage was in the high 50's and when i started her up this morning it sounded hell's doors opened..

Users who are viewing this thread