Car sat over winter with no antifreeze, blew freeze plugs, fixable?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Ok, the car is a 97 Grand Prix GTP, I've owned 2 of them before, and I can get this super cheap. Here's the details, it sat through a while of winter weather, blew the freeze plug out. He drained the water and the car has been sitting since. What else should I look at besides the obvious? (radiator, hoses, etc.) The car also needs a wheel bearing and will need tires soon, I can get it for $400. The body has 220k, but the engine has about half that. HUD still works, has black leather, performance shift, polished wheels, every option you could get. ]

I should mention I am mechanically inclined, but don't want something I'm dumping money into when I could've just bought a decent one for $2k and been done. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar? Or more specifically on the 3800 or L67? Thanks in advance.

oldmodman

Established Member
Sure it's fixable. just not very easily. most freeze plugs are hidden from easy access and it may require pulling the motor to get at them all.
And get a factory service manual because lots of motors have hidden freeze plugs. Might be one in the bell housing area, or behind the front timing cover.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Fill it up with water to see which freeze plug blew (as there are probably multiple ones). Hopefully its easy to reach.

Even if you have to pull the motor, $400 for the car would still be a steal, and this way you could really go through and fix/replace little bullshit things that may lead to an issue later on (hoses, connections, etc).

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Most engines that blow the freeze plugs in this manner usually end up cracking the block as well. If you don't want to be dumping money or time into something, I'd look elsewhere. While it's certainly possible that the block is still intact, there's a very good possibility it is cracked as well.

nxhappy

Established Member
^^was also going to mention cracked block

owner knows the block is ****ed lol

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Ok, the car is a 97 Grand Prix GTP, I've owned 2 of them before, and I can get this super cheap. Here's the details, it sat through a while of winter weather, blew the freeze plug out. He drained the water and the car has been sitting since. What else should I look at besides the obvious? (radiator, hoses, etc.) The car also needs a wheel bearing and will need tires soon, I can get it for $400. The body has 220k, but the engine has about half that. HUD still works, has black leather, performance shift, polished wheels, every option you could get. ]

I should mention I am mechanically inclined, but don't want something I'm dumping money into when I could've just bought a decent one for $2k and been done. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar? Or more specifically on the 3800 or L67? Thanks in advance.

The plugs are actually called CORE plugs, they are used during the manufacture of the engine. They are not intended to protect against damage due to freezing the coolant in the engine block. Yes they may push out when the coolant freezes but that may not be the only damage. I would give this one a pass unless you are comfortable changing the engine.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
High likelihood of the block or heads also being damaged. I wouldn't bother with it.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. Luckily in this situation, i'm able to work on the car and see what all is broken before actually buying it. I guess i'm going to replace the plug, fill it with water and see what blows, leaks, etc. I'll only be out the cost of the plug if things go bad. Thanks again.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
While you working on the coolant system, make sure you change the coolant bypass elbows (original are plastic and crack/leak) the replacements are metal.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
While you working on the coolant system, make sure you change the coolant bypass elbows (original are plastic and crack/leak) the replacements are metal.

Yes sir, planned on it anyway, those things are a joke on the 3800's.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Why was it full of water? When people start filling up engines with water it's because of another problem.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Why was it full of water? When people start filling up engines with water it's because of another problem.

The elbows were leaking in the stock radiator, kept refilling it with water during the summer, parked the car when it got cold, forgot about not having anti-freeze in it. At least that's what i'm told. I'm planning on replacing the elbows with the steel ones as mentioned above, and the plug, filling it up with water next decent day and trying to fire it up.

Users who are viewing this thread