Car running like crap, wet plugs

Cobra03SC

Established Member
New motor, drove it a few days ago ran fine, drove it yesterday ran fine and i parked it. Went to crank today and it will barely run. When it does it is shaking and barely running at all... Pulled the plugs and every one of them was soaked in fuel. I immediately though FRPS so i picked up a new one and a new set of plugs... Changed them out and it had no effect. It got late on me so i couldn't really check anything else but im stumped... it ran fine the day before and it hasn't been beaten on at all since it has a 3000 rpm rev limiter... No fuel in oil either. Any ideas... im scheduled to tune the car next monday so i really need to figure it out.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
More info on your complete set up, especially the fuel system. If you are running a return fuel system is your regulator functioning correctly?

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Its the same setup that was on my car previously for a few years. Fore hat, return style with fore regulator. The FRPS is still hooked up to a vac line and is still plugged in. Regulator set to about 35-37 as thats where it always has been. I never had a issue with the setup before, and it ran for probably 4 years on the old motor and ran fine before today on the new engine... I did swap in 2 new bosch o2 sensors because i had found a broken wire on my old ones, but this also was days before and the car ran fine with them on.

Im assuming its working but what would be the signs of the regulator not working?? Its holding the same pressure at all times.

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It could honestly be a number of things. Being that its a new motor have you double checked all your electrical connections? Is the car throwing any codes? Maybe your MAF is not working correctly, do you have a different one you can slave in? I asked about the regulator because I was possibly thinking your diaphragm took a crap? I doubt this is it because you prolly would of noticed fuel in your vacum lines when you swapped out your FRPS. Did you notice any fuel in the vacum lines when you swapped it out?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I didnt see any fuel or smell any in them. Its a BA3000 maf but i have a stock one...the tune is written for the ba3000 would putting the stock one on even work? Im going to try to pull some compression numbers today, but im not sure that will do much good as the motor probably isnt even close to broken in with maybe 100 miles on it.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Took compression test... All cylinders read 159-162 except 1 and 6, they both read 0. Im assuming because they were on the same stroke when i used a bore scope that a chain jumped somehow? I haven't pulled the valve covers or timing cover, but im assuming thats what i need to do? Then what?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
will have a leak down tester on monday to check on the valves. If everything is ok with them, what would be the next step on correcting this? Im guessing since 1 and 6 are both 0 and are both on the same stroke that somehow the timing jumped?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
leakdown test then pull timing cover to check components/timing. your on the right track

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Yanking the motor in a day or 2 and will pull the timing cover off. Now im not familiar with the aftermarket gears that were used on the crank for timing. Are there still dots. If i remember right there were alot of numbers on them. Also, by not removing the cams they will remain degreed?? or no? I tried a leek down test but cant seem to get any major results and im guessing that the timing being off is screwing with my results?

Users who are viewing this thread