Car revved itself up to 8k rpm’s , turned it off won’t start now, only crank.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IAC won't cause it to rev to 8k. It doesn't have enough airflow. I think max I saw when I was doing some checking was about 2500. The throttle has to have been opened to get enough air.

When it revved were you in gear or were you in the middle of shifting? If you were in gear I'd say the clutch needs to be looked at as well.

If you have a hand held device (SCT X3, X4, ect.) you can pull codes with that. OBD II doesn't do the flashing thing with a paperclip.

My thought is something got stuck and in the moving of things you fixed it. When I bought my car the throttle linkage got stuck on the hose clamp for the intake tube. It took a minute to find it. But now the TPS is probably stuck at WOT and telling the ECU the pedal is floored. If you don't have any codes I would pull the TPS and make sure it's not stuck or sticking.

Codie

Established Member
could a bad TPS be telling the car its WOT? or something in the spliced together harnesses gone wonky
I was thinking TPS as well, I unplugged it and used the old harness wire and it started a few weeks ago and stayed running until a week ago. Ran good for 2 weeks with the other plug in, thought that was the problem. Maybe I sgouldve left the original 01 plug on it.. though it wouldn’t start after it was worked on by AAMCO. They did a transmission job and it didn’t start after they touched it... they drove it 50 miles or so without permission. Not to mention I had to bring the car back after 400 miles because the whole clutch and flywheel failed and was under warranty. They accused me of driving crazy, but I never did. I never abused it and pussyfooted it if anything. They couldn’t get the long tube headers off to drop the whole tranny and still charged me 6 hours of labor to drop the one header and they constantly complained they couldn’t get It all the way off. It took them 3 months the first time and 3-4 the second time. The car never failed to start on first try until second time I picked it up. I don’t know anymore.. this shit is insane and seems like one thing after another. The people looked cracked outta their minds too. The way I got it started like I said was switched the plug and it started, still had problems starting though , sometimes would take 30 tries and then drive normally.

Codie

Established Member
I was thinking TPS as well, I unplugged it and used the old harness wire and it started a few weeks ago and stayed running until a week ago. Ran good for 2 weeks with the other plug in, thought that was the problem. Maybe I sgouldve left the original 01 plug on it.. though it wouldn’t start after it was worked on by AAMCO. They did a transmission job and it didn’t start after they touched it... they drove it 50 miles or so without permission. Not to mention I had to bring the car back after 400 miles because the whole clutch and flywheel failed and was under warranty. They accused me of driving crazy, but I never did. I never abused it and pussyfooted it if anything. They couldn’t get the long tube headers off to drop the whole tranny and still charged me 6 hours of labor to drop the one header and they constantly complained they couldn’t get It all the way off. It took them 3 months the first time and 3-4 the second time. The car never failed to start on first try until second time I picked it up. I don’t know anymore.. this shit is insane and seems like one thing after another. The people looked cracked outta their minds too. The way I got it started like I said was switched the plug and it started, still had problems starting though , sometimes would take 30 tries and then drive normally.

Sorry for the tangent, hope it makes some sort of sense. I was in gear when it happened, immediately shifted to neutral and it still was full throttle. I’m broke as hell and this was my daily driver, ****. Hoping for a cheap and easy fix but this car has been a money pit.. the tranny was rebuilt less than 100 miles ago for the second time and the motor only has 60k miles. I had the heads completely redone at GearHeads and they are the blue stripe heads, so I’m assuming these should hold up a while. Had the whole car rewired by GearHeads as well. But, it’s just one thing after another... though I suspect TPS because that’s the plug I changed and it fired up. I suppose the whole time I was driving without one if the plug was not live.

Codie

Established Member
Sorry for the tangent, hope it makes some sort of sense. I was in gear when it happened, immediately shifted to neutral and it still was full throttle. I’m broke as hell and this was my daily driver, ****. Hoping for a cheap and easy fix but this car has been a money pit.. the tranny was rebuilt less than 100 miles ago for the second time and the motor only has 60k miles. I had the heads completely redone at GearHeads and they are the blue stripe heads, so I’m assuming these should hold up a while. Had the whole car rewired by GearHeads as well. But, it’s just one thing after another... though I suspect TPS because that’s the plug I changed and it fired up. I suppose the whole time I was driving without one if the plug was not live.

Should I be concerned about any other damage or driving with the TPS not activated? Now it will not start or drive with either plug and before it would. Weird as ****.

zredfire04

Established Member
Wonder if a major vacuum leak might be the issue. You'd be getting a bunch of unmetered air so not enough fuel to start the engine. If the throttle isn't stuck open that's the only other thing that makes sense yo me.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
If unplugging the TPS didn’t get it started up. Might be a wiring issue.

But next step should be to check for any OBD codes. Auto parts store, and harbor freight has some fairly cheap.

Then like mentioned before you might need to check that you are getting fuel and ignition.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Are you on the stock ECU? If so, about 7200 is all you can do, then the ECU hits a wall and the car won't rev any higher.

--Joe
This is correct, unless it’s been altered. Bunch of odd stuff here with work done on the car.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it was fine until Aamco worked on it you need to check all the harnesses that run by the bellhousing. It's really easy to pinch a wire or two and cause all kinds of issues.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm with Bullitt 1448.

Do a compression test,,

A piece of the rubber seal on airtube got me once ,ripped and it held throttle open ,

I had the pcv hose under blower leak at elbow,caused a high hanging idle,,

You can test all the engine sensors with a multi meter,

Google how to test ford 4.6 5.4 sensors with multi meter

MG0h3

Established Member
Rabbit hole getting deeper and deeper…..

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Check the clutch position sensor and wiring while you’re at it. May have a broken wire somewhere or the switch is out of whack. It’s the switch on the clutch pedal with a white plastic plunger to it. It’s the Switch that only allows the car start with the clutch depressed.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread