Car just died while idling. Now won't even crank.

5.0GT

Established Member
Funny thing, all these people saying battery, I bet that's not the case this time around.
Batteries don't blow fuses.
I'm sure JPC will update what it was

But it will be funny to dismiss it and then be it ;) Hope OP finds the issue without it costing too much.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Funny thing, all these people saying battery, I bet that's not the case this time around.
Batteries don't blow fuses.
I'm sure JPC will update what it was

Correct, batteries don't blow fuses. But he lives in new York and JPC is Maryland I believe? How much money is he going to spend in a tow and then diag, just throw a battery in or switch it with a known good one. Its one less thing to rule out.

And rule it out by actually testing not ruling it out by saying "Its not the battery".... But that's just me, good luck

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I'll try the battery before I send it down there. Just for kicks. But I still have the new problem of the fuel pumps not coming on anymore when I turn the key on.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
I would just switch the battery with another cars battery just to test that and you won't have to buy a new battery for just a test.

With the fuel pump issue, take the back seat out and see if you have voltage going into the pump.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Wanted to be sure so I bought a brand new battery. Also found the fuel pump fuse was loose so I fixed that problem. But csr still won't crank.

There's an honest small repair shop right around the block that is willing to take a look at it but I have a feeling im going to spend another $200 or so and have no results.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Honestly If the battery did not fix it I would have it towed over to JPC. They will get it straightened out and have the best chance of getting it done without some small shop throwing random stuff at it.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Yea I would trust JPC with it if you can't find the issue...

Did you check the wires and nuts on the starter to make sure it didn't come loose or broken? Like someone else mentioned if there is a starter relay on these cars?

Nuar

Established Member
If the battery was indeed causing issues at first then it was too weak to crank it. If it was to weak to do that, than loading a tune could have botched up in the process resulting in a corrupted tune and causing the fuel pump issue.. i know these cars are EXTREMELY sensitive to voltage drop when loading tunes.

Just thinking out loud.
maybe try loading the tune again with the new battery in there? Just for shits and giggles.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
^^its worth a shot. Everything simple and free are worth a try before having to pay a tow bill then diag at JPC or this other shop who may or may not find the problem.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Where on long island are you? Real speed is in Bohemia and a pretty reputable mustang shop. I know a lot of people who have tunes and got work done there with good success. Just another option that's local

StevenStarke

Established Member
So I brought it to the place by my house. I'll be damned that they bypassed the clutch switch AND tapped on the starter and got it running. So it seems that the starter AND the switch are bad. Which is just completely odd. So they're going to swap them both tomorrow.

DSargent09

Established Member
This sounds ALOT like an issue a few locals have run into. I would first try a 40-50 dollar part before I did the clutch switch and starter....

Drivers side cam position sensor.
Not sure why but for some reason when it fails the car wont start. Acts just as you have explained.

onebadgsx

Established Member
This sounds ALOT like an issue a few locals have run into. I would first try a 40-50 dollar part before I did the clutch switch and starter....

Drivers side cam position sensor.
Not sure why but for some reason when it fails the car wont start. Acts just as you have explained.

cam position sensor. this happen to my car personally. just sayin

Users who are viewing this thread