Car just died while idling. Now won't even crank.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
The 120a fuse wasn't connected to anything. I think it was blown from a long time ago.

And yes it is a hobby for me. But I do have half a clue. And the car shut off like a light switch while it was running with me sitting in it. So whatever caused that is not the starter. The starter didn't make
It shut off. If the starter is bad I have two problems that happened at the same exact time. I find that very unlikely.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Have u turned the engine over by hand?

No. I don't think the motor locked up though. I would have heard something. The car shut off like someone unplugged all of the coils simultaneously. I don't think a stock boss bottom end just stopped rotating while idling

I'm gonna just bring it back to JPC. That way it's in good hands.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
FWIW, I had the same issue in my 2011 SHO on a 2 week old battery. Dropped a Cell out of no where was working no problem. So strange things can happen with batteries go get it tested, bet it fails.

StevenStarke

Established Member
FWIW, I had the same issue in my 2011 SHO on a 2 week old battery. Dropped a Cell out of no where was working no problem. So strange things can happen with batteries go get it tested, bet it fails.

but that wouldn't shut the car off while it's running?

bslaw83

Established Member
but that wouldn't shut the car off while it's running?

Ironically, I just went through something like this. My car wasn't on, but it wouldn't start. We tried to jump it off for over 45 minutes without getting enough juice to jump it. Finally just gave it a push and popped the clutch. I was running off nothing but the alternator. It was so bad that my radio was going in and out because the battery was so drained. Got it home after a 45 minute drive and once I turned it off it wouldn't start again. I think if I would have set idle then it would have died driving home. Got a new battery put in and she's back to normal. Blew a cell in the old battery. Fine one minute, total crap the next. It can happen.

hand-filer

Established Member
Do you own a multimeter? Pretty simple to measure the voltage at the terminals. Battery has 6 cells each producing around 2 volts.

StevenStarke

Established Member
If the battery was the problem the car would crank with jumper cables attached. It didn't.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Lastly. I also tried reloading the map with the Sct programmer just to try it. And ever since that now the fuel pumps won't even come in with the key on anymore, lol. It's getting worse.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Put a battery in it, just like others have said sometimes when there is a bad cell in these they will not take a jump.

Also didn't this car sit for hella long with a blown motor? Battery most likely did not like that.

Green99

Established Member
Put a battery in it, just like others have said sometimes when there is a bad cell in these they will not take a jump.

Also didn't this car sit for hella long with a blown motor? Battery most likely did not like that.

This is worth a shot. We have cars every now and then in the shop that CANNOT be jumped off at all. New battery and every thing is fine.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
My 11 GT500 did the same. Jumped it off and let it idle for a while. Went to drive it and it just dies while sitting at a red light. Had to push if off to the side of the street and there was an off duty LEO who helped with some jumper cables. Car wouldn't crank while jump starting. Had to call a friend to pick me up and take me back to my house and grab a battery out of one of my other cars. Went back swapped out the batteries and car started right up.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Funny thing, all these people saying battery, I bet that's not the case this time around.
Batteries don't blow fuses.
I'm sure JPC will update what it was

Users who are viewing this thread