Car jerks back and forth at steady rpms

ImRambo

Established Member
Hey guys, I really need some help. Ive been working on this issue for a good month now. 2001 cobra, 119k miles. Pulled the engine for paint and mounts etc, bunch of issues when I put back in. At steady rpms, usually cruising 18-2200 in any gear its like the power is cutting in and out. So much to even your head will bob back and forth the entire time.

Replaced several things now. The car stumbled really bad below 2500rpm and got worse. Eventually CEL came on, replaced and it revs verys smoothly now. After, CEL off. Postive battery terminal eventually corroded in half and itd pop on startup and Id lose all power. Replaced and that issue went away. Upon putting motor in I broke the heater core, replaced it but the vacuum line got stuck behind firewall and I forgot about it. After it was all together I tried the pull back out into the engine bay. It came but the end piece came off. I just used electrical tape to attach them. Where does that vacuum line even go to in the HVAC box?

Whats been replaced
-Fuel filter and fuel pump replaced 500miles ago when the pump gave out, ran perfect afterwards. Fuel pump was a "oem" new replacement off Ebay.
-TPS (NAPA), no change , 1 week ago
-IAC off Latemodelresto, today , fixed all stumbling and rough idle
-New positive terminal, fixed no power issue, 2 weeks ago
-Cleaned the MAF, it is aftermarket I believe, K&N filter setup.
-Replaced sparks with NGKs. 1 week ago. Two of the old ones were drenched in oil. Small leak from valve cover. Put a good bit of RTV around the seals. Pulling those covers off are a PITA.

I dont know what to continue checking.. The car ran fine before I pulled the engine. So I figured it must be something that was changed. But then again the IAC just went bad slowly over time and happened to go out at this exact time. So where to now? Maybe check for vacuum leaks and test a friend MAF sensor? Hopefully someone out there has some knowledge on the situation. With a 6hr drive to FFF in a few weeks, Im going to be pissed bobbing back and forth for 300 miles.. :fm:

023_zps2d135667.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
First thing I'd check is that broken vacuum line. Eletrical tape won't seal it correctly. Try capping off the side connected to the engine.

ImRambo

Established Member
First thing I'd check is that broken vacuum line. Eletrical tape won't seal it correctly. Try capping off the side connected to the engine.

Fixed* CEL came back on again so I invested in a code reader. Upstream Bank 1 lean, Upstream Bank 2 rich. Then it all clicked. O2s got switched when engine was put in.

P1152
P1131

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I'm not sure what it is. Do you think it could be more of a fuel problem or electrical? Maybe post a vid up of how it drives. A few weeks ago, I had what seemed to be similar symptoms in the lower rpm (regular driving) range. Then, I noticed oil in a couple of the spark plug chambers, cleaned that out, car's been running smooth ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread