Car idling rough and stalling after cleaning MAF. What did I mess up?

Grimster

Established Member
I used this as a guide for cleaning the MAF. Cleaning the MAF . I used the CRC MAF sensor cleaning stuff on the MAF sensor after I got it out of the car. All I did was take out the air filter assembly thing and the MAF after unplugging it (of course I disconnected the battery first). Then I sprayed the cleaning agent on the MAF wires and let it dry, then put it back together. I even put the MAF sensor back in the 10 'o clock position that it was in originally before I messed with it. Now the car idles extremely rough and dies frequently while trying to idle. I can give it a little gas and it will stay on, but the second I stop giving it a little gas, it will studder and die. I tried driving around the block to see if that would help the computer and MAF communicate, but that was a horrible idea. Ran extremely rough and died probably 10 times. Nursed it back to the driveway and now it sits til the morning.

Do you think I fouled the plugs? Did I really screw up the MAF? The car was running perfectly fine before I decided to clean the MAF on a whim today.

BTW car is completely stock.

Here is a video I shot with my phone showing what is going on.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-UxVbDBac"]YouTube - IMG 0058[/nomedia]

cobracide

Established Member
Pull the battery cable for 30 mins, press the brake pedal to complete the electrical system discharge. Reconnect the battery and test. Also if you can check throttle volts key on engine off.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Ensure everything is connected correctly... i.e. the filter, filter housing, all vacuum hoses, electrical connections and so on. Any kind of extra air or un-metered air will cause it to idle rough and run bad.

I know when i was at the strip something simple as my air filter coming loose made it idled like shit and keep stalling.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Are you sure that the MAF was COMPLETELY DRY before starting it? I know with that spray that you used, it can take a while to dry completely, due to how wet it gets the sensor.

Usually when I clean my MAF, I avoid the sprays, and just use a q-tip that has been dipped into alcohol...and GENTLY wipe the sensor wire. I have never had any problems with this method.

edit: If you go to start it this morning, and it DOES start and idle fine...then you know the sensor was not fully dried.

Last edited:

Grimster

Established Member
Haha ya, MAF was plugged in. I fixed the problem and I feel dumb for what it was.

This morning I unplugged the battery and started at the filter and went up toward the MAF to make sure everything was plugged in and secure. Then I made it up to the connection between the intake tube and the throttle body....and sure enough when I was reinstalling it I must have wiggled it loose because there was a gap there. I guess I just overlooked it last night and was too concerned with the MAF.

Hooked it back up, re-tightened the hoop bracket and all is well. No check engine lights, idles perfectly and after work I gave it a spirited jump and it's back to normal :)

So...in my case it was a stupid loose intake tube. BUT...car is good now.

Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Users who are viewing this thread