Car Haulers

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
So I’m in the market for a new car hauler. I had a basic 16’ PJ trailer with a 2’ dove tail and heavy ass PITA slide out ramps that I bought new back in 2015 and I got a lot of good use out of it. I hauled way more than just cars on it. I let a friend recently borrow it and well, he broke it so he bought it. For my next trailer I want to go with an 18 footer and a 4’ dove tail with built in ramps that slide out of the rear of the trailer. I started doing my research and came across a trailer that seems pretty cool. It’s a roll back/tilt trailer that doesn’t use ramps at all. That Pj scarred me with how heavy and cumbersome the C channel steel ramps were. The trailer I am eyeballing is a Sloan Kwik Load trailer. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Anybody own one or has used one in the past that they can share their experience with?

Kwik Load Trailers

Thanks all for your input in advance,

Roy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My dad had one for years and I've used it hundreds of times. It's a great trailer man. I highly recommend it. I didn't buy one myself because I wanted an aluminum tilt trailer, not a roll back. No other reason other than that.. Great freaking trailer bro, you can't go wrong. They tow very nicely

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
My dad had one for years and I've used it hundreds of times. It's a great trailer man. I highly recommend it. I didn't buy one myself because I wanted an aluminum tilt trailer, not a roll back. No other reason other than that.. Great freaking trailer bro, you can't go wrong. They tow very nicely

That’s great to hear, thanks! I’ve tried finding something negative about them but I haven’t read a single bad thing about them! The guys customer service is even really good. He’s answering my emails faster than I can reply and seems like a really friendly fellow.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
If the primary use is hauling a collector car(s), be sure you consider an enclosed trailer. Why? Well, reasons are obvious, but worth noting: protection during travel, you would be surprised how dirty a car gets on an open trailer, possible rock damage too. Also when you complete your trip, you can leave the car inside trailer protected. Security, the car is hidden. My thought is "out of sight, out of mind".

Understood, you might have additional uses, and the open trailer might be best for you. I just have at least 2 friends who's searches started with an open trailer, but after considering all the options, wound up buying an enclosed.

blue 07

Established Member
I would go with and have an enclosed trailer like speracer said. Also a 20 footer as well. The extra 2 feet will give a little room to move around in as well as making it easier to tie down your ride.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
20171128_083330_compress54.jpg

I use this, or the 20' enclosed trailer. Both haul cars great. It's more recent job is picking up 16' lumber and high top metal roofing.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
How much does something like this cost at the age it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an 89' quad cab 1ton 2wd, with the 19 foot Hodges dovetail, extended frame. 31 feet long bumper to dovetail. The original price was 10k.

Pulled the 454 and TH400. Had them rebuilt, and new cooling system. Fuel pumps replaced just in case. This spring it's getting a rebuilt drive line with new center bearing.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
How much does something like this cost at the age it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an 89' quad cab 1ton 2wd, with the 19 foot Hodges dovetail, extended frame. 31 feet long bumper to dovetail. The original price was 10k.

Pulled the 454 and TH400. Had them rebuilt, and new cooling system. Fuel pumps replaced just in case. This spring it's getting a rebuilt drive line with new center bearing.
Was gonna say, I've seen these old flat beds popping up recently for $10-12k in serviceable condition.

One recently for $4,500, but it needed engine work.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If the primary use is hauling a collector car(s), be sure you consider an enclosed trailer. Why? Well, reasons are obvious, but worth noting: protection during travel, you would be surprised how dirty a car gets on an open trailer, possible rock damage too. Also when you complete your trip, you can leave the car inside trailer protected. Security, the car is hidden. My thought is "out of sight, out of mind".

Understood, you might have additional uses, and the open trailer might be best for you. I just have at least 2 friends who's searches started with an open trailer, but after considering all the options, wound up buying an enclosed.

I know what you mean about an enclosed trailer, definitely many pros to one. It’s just not in my budget at the moment and I don’t have the space for an enclosed one right now either. One day I would like a big ole goosenecked enclosed trailer. For now I’ll just keep playing with my minor league stuff. I could house an enclosed trailer at my house but I would have to make some “adjustments” to the house and property. I would need to cut the roof line back a foot for more clearance and move the gas meter in a couple inches. Also redoing the fence between my house and the neighbors house would gain me about 3-4 inches. I’m just not ready to make any of those modifications and I refuse to pay to store my trailer. Thanks for your input

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
i bought a Home - JIMGLO Trailers trailer. the entire bed will tilt as you drive up it will self level and lock in place when weight is over the trailer wheels. best investment related to the car hobbies.

shipped to my door was under 8k.

That’s fn bad ass! I’d love to have something like that.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
i bought a Home - JIMGLO Trailers trailer. the entire bed will tilt as you drive up it will self level and lock in place when weight is over the trailer wheels. best investment related to the car hobbies.

shipped to my door was under 8k.

I have one of their trailers. Its an older model, 2000 or 2001. Still works great though. The tool box was built a little higher to protect the car. Eventually I want to get it rhino lined and switch it to electric brakes. But the tilt is really nice. Haven't had a car scrape on it yet.

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Featherlite 20 foot with an air dam on the front. My first one was a 16 ft. I will take the 20 any day.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
So kinda going down the rabbit hole here. Anyone know if there any 5th wheel toy haulers that have a garage big enough and a weight rating for car say 3500lbs ish? All the toy haulers I’ve encountered were only rated for like 1500-2000lbs so far. They seem to be rated more for smaller sand toys and golf carts.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So kinda going down the rabbit hole here. Anyone know if there any 5th wheel toy haulers that have a garage big enough and a weight rating for car say 3500lbs ish? All the toy haulers I’ve encountered were only rated for like 1500-2000lbs so far. They seem to be rated more for smaller sand toys and golf carts.

I've been looking for one of those myself. I think the issue is the GVWR gets up there. And the ones I've found are triple axle.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I've been looking for one of those myself. I think the issue is the GVWR gets up there. And the ones I've found are triple axle.

I’m ok with that I just need to do some work to my RV parking area to be able to squeeze in a full sized trailer. Who made the ones you were looking at?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I’m ok with that I just need to do some work to my RV parking area to be able to squeeze in a full sized trailer. Who made the ones you were looking at?

Sorry, I don't. I was looking through used vehicle sites so I wasn't focused on one brand.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Featherlite SURV:

07surv.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread