Car has been sitting for months... Now won’t start???

Wish4svts

Established Member
Cars been sitting a while, like it has numerous times over the years, put a new battery on it and it won’t start. Cranks over fine, has fuel pressure at valve. Took wire and plug out and turned it over with plug grounded and not getting spark. Never had this issue... any ideas where to start. I’m a dumbshit when it comes to wiring troubleshooting. Any and all help is appreciated.

Wish4svts

Established Member
No theft light seems normal, and I think the pats system turns your fuel pump off to prevent theft. Could be wrong on that one though

Wish4svts

Established Member
Anyone? Any sensors that if gone bad would cause a no spark issue. I just ordered a multimeter so hoping to start tracking down the problem soon.

MG0h3

Established Member
As mentioned, crank sensor tells the ecm that the engine turning over and needs spark.

Not a real common failure. Maybe a mouse chewed on the wiring down there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I would go buy a spark plug tester (probably under $15 at an auto parts store) and re-check your spark. I'm not saying you messed anything up by trying to use the method you did, but a tester is a cheap and easy way of checking the basics. How old is the gas that is in the tank? If it is a few months old, then you will be fine. If it is really old, your car will NOT start. I have been doing this same thing for nearly 18 years with my car. It sits for long periods of time, then is a real struggle to get it going again. Any old gas MUST be drained before the car will fire. At least from my experience over the years, one would think that old gas should at least fire up (it may run like crap, but at least fire up)...but this has not been the case.

Users who are viewing this thread