Car feels like it's locking up

Slow99x

Established Member
I put in a new engine recently and fired it up today. We bled the brakes, burpped the coolant and took it for a spin around the parking lot. When the car is in gear it feels like it's binding up.
We checked the brakes and it rolls freely when not in gear.
There is no grinding noise from the trans when it's moving and I can go through the gears ok.
The trans is filled with 4 quarts of Royal Purple Syncro Maxx
We checked the E brake and it rolls freely when it is off.

Any ideas??
:??:

shurur

Established Member
How many miles?
Did you do the diffy?

Mine was stiff feeling in reverse only..then later traction control seemed to engage briefly when I got on it..then later still it sounded like marbles in the diffy...then I smartened up and had the rear end rebuilt, gears and truetrac installed.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Got a soft tire somewhere?

Increased drag while coasting, or under power?

Tough to tell by just a look, yet they do make a difference.

You should be able to detect noticeable drag with the car on jack stands, by spinning wheels by hand.

Mystic03

Established Member
mainly happens when just easing the clutch out as soon as it starts to roll "all wheels pretty much stop" car is reving fine just does not want to move at all car sat on jack stands and it ran smooth on the jacks. just out of nowhere it gave this symptom

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Best thing to do is get it on a lift and check all four wheels/brakes separately. This is a tough thing to web diag because there are quite a few different things that could cause this. First narrow it down to whether its the front or rear and go from there.

Slow99x

Established Member
Got a soft tire somewhere?

Increased drag while coasting, or under power?

Tough to tell by just a look, yet they do make a difference.

You should be able to detect noticeable drag with the car on jack stands, by spinning wheels by hand.

It doesn't feel like a tire. The car rolls just fine with us pushing it back into the garage. Unless somehow the brakes are dependant on the engine running, I would say that isn't them either. If they are vacuum assisted then I would say it does kinda feel like the brakes but like I said, it rolls fine with the engine off.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It doesn't feel like a tire. The car rolls just fine with us pushing it back into the garage. Unless somehow the brakes are dependant on the engine running, I would say that isn't them either. If they are vacuum assisted then I would say it does kinda feel like the brakes but like I said, it rolls fine with the engine off.

The brakes are hydraulically boosted via hydro-boost, which is powered by the power steering pump.
Brake drag will be very obvious when individual wheels are turned by hand.
With the engine idling will eliminate a hydro-boost issue unless some part of it has failed to release, which should show up by turning a wheel by hand.

Slow99x

Established Member
I did have the Hydroboost out for the engine removal but we bled the primary and secondary. Do we need to bleed each caliper too? Could the calipers be hanging up and not releasing all the way because of that?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ok, I know you are trying to help but for the last time, it's not the tires and not the diff. THE CAR ROLLS FINE WHEN IT'S OFF

dude,,,a goodyear on left and a bfg on right...car will jerk when moving if traction is off...both can be 275/40/17....your car has been sitting who knows what you did?

your booster if not bleed right it will blow and cause pedal to apply on its own ....read hydro booster rebuilding,,not ford manual...

if you didnt tell everything you did,,like change rear pads...that can cause this issue

Slow99x

Established Member
dude,,,a goodyear on left and a bfg on right...car will jerk when moving if traction is off...both can be 275/40/17....your car has been sitting who knows what you did?

your booster if not bleed right it will blow and cause pedal to apply on its own ....read hydro booster rebuilding,,not ford manual...

if you didnt tell everything you did,,like change rear pads...that can cause this issue

The tires are the same and it has been in the air on jackstands so there is no possibility of flat spots but I think the Hydroboost and power steering may be the issue

hotcobra03

Established Member
stick with the suggestion on how to see if wheels are dragging..thats easy and free.for a starting point

Slow99x

Established Member
I took the car over to a brake shop to have them check it out and they said it is a bad valve and spring in the hydro boost causing the rear bakes to lock up. Is that possible or should I look at other possibilities?

hotcobra03

Established Member
if the booster is at fault all 4 wheels would lock ..

i was in a thread on another site...guy had opened system than had issues with brakes applying..

he went thru 5 boosters before 1 that worked...he said they all did the same thing

Users who are viewing this thread