Car Dilemma - Need opinions

MachJoe

Established Member
I just bought a house in February and its keeping me pretty busy between yard/landscape work (1/2 acre lot) and inside work plus working 10hr shifts every day. I have a Mach 1 that I was planning on Autocrossing, but has been down for several months due to a leaky trans. I can fix it, its just finding time. My daily is a 13 Accord, that will need new tires pretty soon too. Maintaining 2 vehicles isn't as fun as I thought it would be haha.

My question is, has anyone sold their "baby" just to simplify things? Did you regret it afterwards? I love my Mach 1 and I'd hate to get rid of it. But at the same time, getting a 4dr car that can suit all my needs from the factory sounds appealing too. I keep going through this debate. The mustang is paid for and the Accord is almost paid for. So do I really want to tackle more debt for the ease of simplifying things or continue to do what I'm doing... Any insight?

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
If you need the cash, sell it. If you don't really need the cash, keep the car. Easy Peasy.

starnsey

Established Member
I just bought a house in February and its keeping me pretty busy between yard/landscape work (1/2 acre lot) and inside work plus working 10hr shifts every day. I have a Mach 1 that I was planning on Autocrossing, but has been down for several months due to a leaky trans. I can fix it, its just finding time. My daily is a 13 Accord, that will need new tires pretty soon too. Maintaining 2 vehicles isn't as fun as I thought it would be haha.

My question is, has anyone sold their "baby" just to simplify things? Did you regret it afterwards? I love my Mach 1 and I'd hate to get rid of it. But at the same time, getting a 4dr car that can suit all my needs from the factory sounds appealing too. I keep going through this debate. The mustang is paid for and the Accord is almost paid for. So do I really want to tackle more debt for the ease of simplifying things or continue to do what I'm doing... Any insight?

I just sold my Mach 1 that I had intentions of autocrossing and spent the past three years fixing up to near-perfect because I'm just sick of working on cars and not being able to have something nice to drive every day. Ordered a truck to my exact liking that comes with a warranty a couple weeks ago and should be taking delivery in the next month or two.

So yes, I sold my "baby" for rational reasons (for a very affordable price) and have absolutely zero regret knowing I don't have to work on it anymore.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
IMO, if you keep the Mach just enjoy it for what it is and don't over mod it for the autocross, etc. Otherwise you'll just spend more time with the car apart and likely make it less streetable/enjoyable. Seems like that's how most people get burnt out with multiple vehicles.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I just sold my Mach 1 that I had intentions of autocrossing and spent the past three years fixing up to near-perfect because I'm just sick of working on cars and not being able to have something nice to drive every day. Ordered a truck to my exact liking that comes with a warranty a couple weeks ago and should be taking delivery in the next month or two.

So yes, I sold my "baby" for rational reasons (for a very affordable price) and have absolutely zero regret knowing I don't have to work on it anymore.

A truck was my first thought as a good replacement vehicle assuming you don't need something with great mileage. If I had to own just one vehicle it would be a nice pickup.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
I have 3 right now- the Mustang, Chevelle, and my daily 03 accord. The mustang currently needs the trans looked into (3-4 clutchs are going), and the chevelle just had the trans rebuilt. I dont have a loan on any of them, which brings me to this-

If you dont have a loan and enjoy the mach, keep it. You can PROPERLY store it for a year or two until it gets easier, then start messing wtih it again. Unless you have to sell it. If you have payments, and just sitting on it isnt an option, then I could see selling it.

starnsey

Established Member
I have 3 right now- the Mustang, Chevelle, and my daily 03 accord. The mustang currently needs the trans looked into (3-4 clutchs are going), and the chevelle just had the trans rebuilt. I dont have a loan on any of them, which brings me to this-

If you dont have a loan and enjoy the mach, keep it. You can PROPERLY store it for a year or two until it gets easier, then start messing wtih it again. Unless you have to sell it. If you have payments, and just sitting on it isnt an option, then I could see selling it.

My thoughts on this are even if you own the car outright, like I did with my Mach, it was essentially a stack of cash that could be put towards something else. I don't think I could ever let a vehicle just sit around doing nothing when I could sell it and put the money towards a new car or filling up savings or house projects or guitars or etc etc etc. Then again, I've never really been attached to any of my cars.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Sold my paid off 04 GT when I was 21. It was built up just the way I wanted it and ran perfect. Started working tons of OT and was barely driving it and wanted a nice DD. So I sold it and traded in my DD and bought a Jeep SRT8. The jeep was fun but I've been through 3 DDs since then and bought another Mustang. I still regret selling that car to this day. I even tried buying it back from the guy I sold it to but he wanted more than what he gave me for it. F That.

MachJoe

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

Its not that I need the money. I'd actually be spending more by getting a brand new car. It's more for simplifying everything. I just rescued a dog a couple months ago and she's having a lot of non-serious health issues that is taking away my spare cash to buy parts to fix the Mach. So between that, work and house work, I have no time for it right now. I do love the car though.

If I sold both cars, I was thinking about ordering a 2016 STI. One car to do it all. Daily duty, full warranty, and be able to run some autox on the weekends.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If I sold both cars, I was thinking about ordering a 2016 STI. One car to do it all. Daily duty, full warranty, and be able to run some autox on the weekends.

Nothing compares to the feel of a Mustang with a proper v8.

Keep the Mach1 in the stable for when you have the ability to do what you want to it, because once you sell it, you will never be able to find one that is like yours, especially if you take care of your cars.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

Its not that I need the money. I'd actually be spending more by getting a brand new car. It's more for simplifying everything. I just rescued a dog a couple months ago and she's having a lot of non-serious health issues that is taking away my spare cash to buy parts to fix the Mach. So between that, work and house work, I have no time for it right now. I do love the car though.

I'm going to be in this exact scenario in a few months. Going to buy a daily (looking at a 6.7 Cummins) so I can put the cobra up, and I feel with work/school/gf/etc I wont have time for the cobra anymore and will end up selling it. No harm no foul, if you do miss it that much you can always buy another. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread