car dies after WOT...help!!!!

josh2016

Established Member
the car is a DD and runs great. it only dies after i race. i can floor it in 2nd hit 3rd and let off...the car is fine. but if i start from a dig shifting at 5800 rpms, it will run beautifly through all the gears until i let out of it at the top of 4th gear around 6000 rpms. then the car dies. i have no clue what is causing this please help. it sucks having to start the car slowing down from 120 at the end of the track or on the highway. :shrug:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
damn I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE. IAT 1 sensor 1 High Input and when i go WOT it falls on its face but only past 3rd gear... I also have an Accufab SBTB.. wtf

josh2016

Established Member
its weird huh. it drives great till u get on it in 3rd and 4th then dies after you let off. i have no clue what could be causing this. here is a list of my mods to maybe help figure out what the issue could be coming from

-BBK Long tubes
-BBK o/r H-pipe
-Magnaflow catback
-4.10's
-6Lb lower
-Stock upper
-Accufab SBTB
-JLT cf CAI
-Steeda belt tensioner
-AFCO dual pass heat exchanger
-Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
-spec stage 3
-fully built transmission by Pro Motion, 26 spline imput
-UPR Blue Thunder shifter
-Eibach suspension
-stock 39lb injectors
-SCT tune by Bama custom tuning

These are the things I did to the car. im not sure what was done to it before i got to it cuz i was blown away that i dynoed 535 rwhp and 504 tq and dont think my mods would get me there.

Last edited:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Those are high numbers for the mods you have? Is the eaton ported? Not sure if the TB would cause that sort of problem.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Those are high numbers for the mods you have? Is the eaton ported? Not sure if the TB would cause that sort of problem.

i was thinking the same, specially with a stock upper, i had accufab sbtb on both of my cobras and not a single issue with them, i would say its in the tune

josh2016

Established Member

I installed all the mods listed. i was also surprised by the numbers. i have no idea if its ported or not. i have no way of contacting the previous owner to find out. i got the car in october of last yr (2010). it was repoed then sent to auction in VA, i picked it up from a dealership in miami with a bad tranny (no reverse) for 15k after tax, tag, and title. had 52k miles on it. i asked the dealer what they know about the car and they said all it had done to it was a RAI, 60lb injectors, flowmaster CB, and had no way of getting previous owner info to ask questions about other mods. they were wrong about the injectors..they are stock. Stieg leaves a logo on their ported blowers...mine looks stock. so im clueless:shrug:

josh2016

Established Member
i figured out what it is. its my alternator. i went to NMRA all weekend and talked to everyone there with a 03/04 cobra. a few of the guys had the same problems and said the alternator was the issue. i guess the alternator doesnt just die it slowly fades out then dies. so its charging at idle but not very much but at WOT the car uses alot more power and the alternator fades out and ur battery becomes your main power source. then when i push in the clutch and the RPMs die down, the alternator cant charge the battery fast enough to keep the car running so the car just dies. im buying a new one tomorrow and i will let you know if that fixes the issue

Users who are viewing this thread