Car cuts out about 4K

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Its not too often that my car sees 4K plus but here recently Ive noticed that when I do get on it, as soon as it should start to set me back in the seat it actually just loses all power...throwing me forward in the seat. The exact opposite of what I want obviously. It had thrown a lean code, bank 1 sensor 1, is that not the upstream sensor going bad? Would that cause what I am experiencing?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Are the IMRCs opening?

That code could be an exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor also.

Could be vac leak or MAF also but that would normally give codes for both banks.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Well its weird man because it only does it every now and then, but recently its been more often than not. I think I mite have an exhaust leak at the passenger mid-pipe to manifold, so that would be the cause of the bank 1 lean code. But when the car cuts out, it doesnt just go flat, it almost sounds like its cutting cylinders. Like a mini jake brake or something is the way Id describe it.

NXGHOST

Established Member
Mine was doing this and it was the IMRC actuator. It would only open when it felt like it so it was hgard to find. I changed it to eliminate it and the problem was gone.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Mine falls on its face at about 5k. No check engine light, but I think it may be the IMRC. Drives me crazy

JasonSnake

Established Member
my car does the same thing. It falls on its face around 5k. I got the IMRC code also. It has a mind of its own

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
As soon as I have the money Im gonna change plugs and wires...maybe coils too. It did throw some wierd asss code the other day...it didnt say anything about IMRCs but it was something about TCD or dealer something...f*ck I wish I could remember. I know that the CEL p1171 or whatever is the exhaust leak.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
do the easy stuff. Clean the MAF, change the fuel filter, plugs, wires and clean/new air filter. Do the cheapest things first, them move up the list.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
ooo man.. all i have to say is im glad the Autolite 764's exist..

I used to have the same problem.. car would break up in the higher RPM's and STAMPEDE3 recommended 764's.. i gapped them at factory gap and the car pulled like a monster to redline :banana:

GR40Snake said:
New plugs cured my "Falls on its face" problem.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
Mine had about the same thing going on,i tried Plug's-Wires-cleaning everything that can be (except IMRC's) new fuel filter.After all that,it turned out to be a Bad Injector.

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
do the easy stuff. Clean the MAF, change the fuel filter, plugs, wires and clean/new air filter. Do the cheapest things first, them move up the list.

+1

Over the years, one or a combo of the above have fixed my upper rpm cutout every time it starts to happen. Interval estimates +/-: plugs every 20k-fuel filter every 10k-wires every 40k-CRC makes a good MAF sensor cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread