Car Care Question Emporium - Sponsored by Lethal Performance

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think this is a great time to introduce a thread where anyone can ask anything about car care, inside and out.

I'll be monitoring this thread regularly sharing every bit of knowledge I have, and welcome all members to join in the discussion and share ideas, and experiences.

Lots of good information has been circulating lately, so it may be a great idea to centralize all of this info, so it's easily accessible and easy to reference any old info.

So feel free to open the discussion with any questions.

Thanks

John:thumbsup:

Also, please check out our car care section where we feature products such as Wolfgang, Cobra, Blackfire, Meguiar's, Poorboys, and Pinnacle here: Lethal Performance Car Care Products

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Earlier today, someone asked about maintaining a black vehicle, and waterless wash information, this was my reply and I figured I'd repost it here for reference, and to get the wheels rolling;

There are many, many, many products out there as the market continues to grow and develop, and with that, technology also grows with the actual products and their chemical makeup and effectiveness.

Although the concept of waterless washes seems like it could be dangerous, they are actually completely safe. To be honest, it's very common for weekend warrior cars to use waterless washes as a way of maintaining the finish. There are companies like Optimum Polymer Technologies who have reshaped some of the car care products. Their waterless wash is completely safe when used correctly. If you've gone mudding, or the car is very very dirty, I would not advise using a waterless wash, and would opt for the standard technique of washing.

When It comes to using a claybar, you should really only need to clay the car 2-3 times a year. A great way to test if the car needs to be clayed is by putting your hand in a sandwich bag, and rubbing your hand on the paint surface. If it feels gritty, it needs to be clayed.

Now when it comes to waxes and sealants, everyone has their own opinion. The one fact that cannot be overly disputed is longevity, and protection. Waxes are natural and derive from the leaves of a Palm. Usually, carnauba waxes contain other oils, sometimes petroleum, and tend to look the best on darker colors. They will protect the paint and bead water, but will only last a few weeks.
Now on the other hand, sealants are synthetic and man made. They typically contain polymers that will also look great on paint, and some will last up to 6 months or more.

Now, what you can do, is combine the effectiveness of both. When you're ready to apply the wax or sealant, apply the sealant first, and then let it cure. This can take up to 10-12 hours (usually overnight) and should not be exposed to moisture during that curing time. Once the paint has cured, apply the paste wax over it. This way you'll get the car looking show car ready, and will have the protection from the sealant for months.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Best product and/or method to remove long term cigarette smoke odor from interior? I'll even settle for the best way to mask the odor.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Best product and/or method to remove long term cigarette smoke odor from interior? I'll even settle for the best way to mask the odor.

There's a few things that you can do. I would start by fully vacuuming the interior, and change the cabin filter. Sometimes it's as easy as that.

There are products such as the Dakota Odor Bomb, and the DP Odor Elminiator. Both are fogger type aerosol products that will consume the interior and help eliminate the odor particles.

Also, 1Z Einszett makes a product called Klima Cleaner that is a foaming air duct treatment to help kill any odor causing bacteria in the air ducts.

Usually it's a matter of finding the source of the odor to take care of the problem in the long term. There are dozens upon dozens of short term solutions. Most of those can be found at a local gas station.

Hope that helps, good luck

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
There's a few things that you can do. I would start by fully vacuuming the interior, and change the cabin filter. Sometimes it's as easy as that.

There are products such as the Dakota Odor Bomb, and the DP Odor Elminiator. Both are fogger type aerosol products that will consume the interior and help eliminate the odor particles.

Also, 1Z Einszett makes a product called Klima Cleaner that is a foaming air duct treatment to help kill any odor causing bacteria in the air ducts.

Usually it's a matter of finding the source of the odor to take care of the problem in the long term. There are dozens upon dozens of short term solutions. Most of those can be found at a local gas station.

Hope that helps, good luck

Thanks! :beer:

tradewife4SVT

Established Member
So the snow here in dever is finally starting to melt and i just bought an 05 vista blue stang. the paint on it is still really nice and i want to keep the paint looking nice. im looking for products that will help keep the shine on the paint and make it look real nice any info pn products i should use would be great. there are so many to choose from now days that i have no idea what to use or even how to begin.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So the snow here in dever is finally starting to melt and i just bought an 05 vista blue stang. the paint on it is still really nice and i want to keep the paint looking nice. im looking for products that will help keep the shine on the paint and make it look real nice any info pn products i should use would be great. there are so many to choose from now days that i have no idea what to use or even how to begin.

Nice color!

There are a few routes you can take to make that blue pop!

I would first start by washing the car. Detailer's Pro Series Auto Bath Shampoo - 32 fl oz is a great product to use and it comes in a generous 32 ounce bottle. It's concentrated so you only need to use a little at a time when mixing with water.

Then you'd want to clay it. Pinnacle Clay Lubricant - 16 fl oz & Pinnacle Ultra Poly Claybar - 4 oz are the best two products for cars that are in decent shape but you just want to clean off the surface. Clay is great to remove embedded surface contaminants that washing won't reach.

After that, you're ready to either polish or wax. If you want to remove swirls and light scratches, you're best bet is you use something like Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher as your hand just won't generate the friction and/or heat to level off the clear coat.

Should you just want to hit it with a good wax and sealant. Try Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant - 16 oz that's a very popular and very durable sealant that can last from 3-6 months depending on environment and other variables. After you apply this, remove the residue, and wait about 10 hours before applying something like Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax - 7 oz . A high end carnauba wax that will give the paint that extra POP. You'll have the durability of the sealant, and the deep wet look of the wax. Does that sound like something that might interest you :-D

Hope this helps get you going in the right direction. Let me know if there is anything else you have questions about.

Last edited:

Adamn

Established Member
What would be the best product to use to clean, polish, and protect my aluminum wheels
th_089-Copy.jpg

glittle75

Established Member
wash them, clay bar them. I use Mother's Billet Polish on mine, and on all my chrome and aluminum. Looks great, has a little bit of abrasiveness, less than toothpaste, so it will take out some MINOR scratches and such, then I put my sealant of choice on the wheels. You can also wax them. Sealant or a wax will make brake dust stick less, and makes water bead, so no more spots unless they sit on the wheels for a long time. But usually a trip to the end of the driveway will get all the water off because the surface is moving.

Butterybunz

Established Member
I have a black 99 cobra vert and the paint is very faded, has a ton of a "spider webbing" effecting going, and a lot of small scratches. How can a revive this paint in the most cost effective way?

Thanks

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
wax stain?

Hi John,

Just purchased an 04 Cobra with 8,000 original miles. The owner was 62 and I am guessing he didn't do a lot of waxing. The only thing I have noticed is on the drivers rocker panel, (only visable in the sun) I can see a white/blue tint to it. I can only assume it's wax that has baked in the sun, or a car wash soap that did the same.

Either way, what is the best way to get that back to black?

I have a Porter Cable D/A and various waxes/sealants/cleaner wax, etc.

Thanks!

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hi John,

Just purchased an 04 Cobra with 8,000 original miles. The owner was 62 and I am guessing he didn't do a lot of waxing. The only thing I have noticed is on the drivers rocker panel, (only visable in the sun) I can see a white/blue tint to it. I can only assume it's wax that has baked in the sun, or a car wash soap that did the same.

Either way, what is the best way to get that back to black?

I have a Porter Cable D/A and various waxes/sealants/cleaner wax, etc.

Thanks!

Have a picture of it? Sounds like dried wax. I would try non-abrasive steps first since the worst case scenario is the area has failed clear coat. Wash and clay the car first so you're dealing with a clean, debris free surface. When claying the area in question, just play close attention to detail. If it's not improving or clearing up, a non-abrasive paint cleaner may be your next best option. P21S makes a great paint cleaner that's easy to use.

I'd post a picture up first too though, sometimes you can visually tell if the area has failed clear coat, or if it's baked in wax residue.

Thanks

John

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a black 99 cobra vert and the paint is very faded, has a ton of a "spider webbing" effecting going, and a lot of small scratches. How can a revive this paint in the most cost effective way?

Thanks

With a car that age, and what you're describing, I'd also post a picture up to see the current condition. If it's in that bad of shape, you may also be a victim of clear coat failure. It's much easier to suggest methods and products when you know what you're dealing with. See if you can take a couple snap shots and post them up so we can take a look and get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

John

BossAnaki

Established Member
Whats the difference between sealants, glazes and waxes.:??: Also what are the benefits over one as opposed to the other or the down side of using one and not the other.

MattZ28

Established Member
Whats the difference between sealants, glazes and waxes.:??: Also what are the benefits over one as opposed to the other or the down side of using one and not the other.

First and foremost, all of these terms are subjective and can be used in so many different ways. Some "waxes" are synthetic, some "sealants" contain waxes, some glazes are sealants, some finishing polishes are called glazes, etc...so don't get too caught up in the terminology. But here's a basic rundown.

Sealants and waxes are designed to do the same thing - protect and preserve the finish while providing a slick surface that will prevent dirt from sticking. These qualities also enhance shine/gloss and the overall depth of the color you're working with.

"sealants" are going to be your synthetic, man-made products, usually polymer or acrylic based. "waxes" are usually based off natural formulas comprised of carnauba, beeswax, certain oils, etc. In most cases, sealants are easier to use and last longer, while natural waxes will provide better depth and gloss.

Glazes are completely different. They are made to provide shine/gloss and a very temporary sacrificial barrier of protection, usually used on fresh paint. Glazes will allow fresh paint to breathe (outgas) but do not last long at all. Most glazes will wash off fairly easily, but they're great to use before car shows and whatnot. You won't see too much benefit using a glaze on clear coat; they work best on a porous, single-stage paint finish which can actually absorb oils.

Hope this helps :beer:

BossAnaki

Established Member
First and foremost, all of these terms are subjective and can be used in so many different ways. Some "waxes" are synthetic, some "sealants" contain waxes, some glazes are sealants, some finishing polishes are called glazes, etc...so don't get too caught up in the terminology. But here's a basic rundown.

Sealants and waxes are designed to do the same thing - protect and preserve the finish while providing a slick surface that will prevent dirt from sticking. These qualities also enhance shine/gloss and the overall depth of the color you're working with.

"sealants" are going to be your synthetic, man-made products, usually polymer or acrylic based. "waxes" are usually based off natural formulas comprised of carnauba, beeswax, certain oils, etc. In most cases, sealants are easier to use and last longer, while natural waxes will provide better depth and gloss.

Glazes are completely different. They are made to provide shine/gloss and a very temporary sacrificial barrier of protection, usually used on fresh paint. Glazes will allow fresh paint to breathe (outgas) but do not last long at all. Most glazes will wash off fairly easily, but they're great to use before car shows and whatnot. You won't see too much benefit using a glaze on clear coat; they work best on a porous, single-stage paint finish which can actually absorb oils.

Hope this helps :beer:

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Just ordered my first DA polisher (105/205 kit) from your website last night. ([email protected])...can't wait to get it and try my hand and getting rid of the swirl marks on my black car!

MattZ28

Established Member
:beer: Thanks for your order! Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions about process/technique or want any tips/advice.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
:beer: Thanks for your order! Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions about process/technique or want any tips/advice.

Will do!

Got everything in and hope to get it done Sunday if the weather permits.

First time doing something like this. Here's my plan:

Wash (CG Maxi suds II)
Clay (Blackfire)
Light wash again to remove anything left behind from the claying
light prepping with green 3M tape ..not sure how much to tape up here :)
Apply 105 with cyan pad...Speed 5 or 6?
Apply 205 with orange pad...Speed 6
??Should I apply some sort of sealant here? Like Zaino's Z5 w/zfx additive, but not sure about using it because it's a sealant/polish combo.
Wax by hand with 1 or two coats of Natty's paste wax

Drink a beer and admire my work ;)

Snyder2003

Established Member
Hazing in black paint.

I have a 2012 black gt500 I need help getting hazing out of it. You can only see the hazing if the sun directly hits the car. It looks like swirl marks of wax I forgot to get off. I have had it buffed and everything. It looks 3d in the sun. What can I do to get rid of the hazing?

Users who are viewing this thread