Car Buying in 2022

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I am reading that Ford 2022 Mustang must be ordered, no dealer stock allocations.

You can only get a 2022 Charger and Challenger by placing a factory order. Dealerships are not receiving stock allocation.

This is shocking to me, but the chip shortage is for real I guess.

I would imagine other brands will be doing similar things.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking at a Maverick, dealer told me to come back in the spring.

q6543

Established Member
I was calling around to get a new F150 and was told only 8 to 10 weeks.

I was surprised actually,..
Asked about ordering a bronco and was told 12 months maybe lol.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I was calling around to get a new F150 and was told only 8 to 10 weeks.

I was surprised actually,..
Asked about ordering a bronco and was told 12 months maybe lol.
I just saw one of the Broncos yesterday. Looked to have the sasquatch package. The Gray/blueish color, looked sharp!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1. Mustangs are 8-10 weeks out.
2. Mavericks better have orders in before Ford announces they way over sold again.
3. F-150s are 8-12 weeks depending on trim level and options.
4. Broncos would be lucky to have in 18 months, if you don't already have a reservation.

Sent from my Potato

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I am reading that Ford 2022 Mustang must be ordered, no dealer stock allocations.

You can only get a 2022 Charger and Challenger by placing a factory order. Dealerships are not receiving stock allocation.

This is shocking to me, but the chip shortage is for real I guess.

I would imagine other brands will be doing similar things.
Gee, being forced to order and get exactly what you want?

What a nice problem to have!

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Are people paying over MSRP for factory orders? I'm sure every car maker is different, but this is insane and I don't expect to let up anytime soon.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm looking at a Maverick, dealer told me to come back in the spring.
There’s a local dealer to me trying to get 50 grand for a used maverick. I guess I can see someone paying a lot to have one of the first broncos or c8 corvettes but the whole point of the maverick is a cheap truck. Anyone willing to spend 50k on one is a fool.

My94GT

Established Member
Are people paying over MSRP for factory orders? I'm sure every car maker is different, but this is insane and I don't expect to let up anytime soon.
Ordered the wife a GLS 450 in spring and it took about 8 weeks. Paid MSRP, meanwhile all the cars on the lot had adm of 3-5k simply because people buying them wanted them now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not at all surprising. IMO having to custom order and wait (8-12 weeks on average) isn't bad. It will certainly cease over ordering on the dealer side.

Nick, will dealers be then able to order "demo" models for their showroom. Customers usually want to see before they buy. I know I would. And will test drives be a thing of the past?

I drove by my local Chevy dealer yesterday. They have always had huge inventories. What I saw was one white GT-500, one SUV, and maybe 100 or so trucks. That was it! No other cars. No other SUVs. It was surreal to see so many trucks and basically nothing else.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Not at all surprising. IMO having to custom order and wait (8-12 weeks on average) isn't bad. It will certainly cease over ordering on the dealer side.

Nick, will dealers be then able to order "demo" models for their showroom. Customers usually want to see before they buy. I know I would. And will test drives be a thing of the past?

I drove by my local Chevy dealer yesterday. They have always had huge inventories. What I saw was one white GT-500, one SUV, and maybe 100 or so trucks. That was it! No other cars. No other SUVs. It was surreal to see so many trucks and basically nothing else.

I'm amazed they had 100 new trucks, Chevy and GMC dealers here have just a few.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Gee, being forced to order and get exactly what you want?

What a nice problem to have!

It is harder to get a good deal, although I ordered my 2021 Challenger and did negotiate a good deal. It pretty much eliminates any impulse buying off the dealer lots, important for sports car sales.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Has the chip shortage affected the leasing business as well? I was thinking of selling my Explorer since prices are good and then leasing a car for a year or so(if you even can lease for one year) before I move out of Vegas next year.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
A few dealers around here are offering discounts if you order a vehicle. Half of the dealers have have almost no inventory.

Nick made me a good deal on a new truck if I order it and I have the itch. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger but the new GMC Denali is tempting me. But it's a GM, and experience tells me it'll look nice but still feel cheap and squeak after a few months.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
1. Mustangs are 8-10 weeks out.
2. Mavericks better have orders in before Ford announces they way over sold again.
3. F-150s are 8-12 weeks depending on trim level and options.
4. Broncos would be lucky to have in 18 months, if you don't already have a reservation.

Sent from my Potato
I thought four weeks was a wait for my car let alone two and one half months.

Growing up it was the norm to see franchised dealerships with more new than used but that seems to have reversed.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm ordering below MSRP, especially for SVTP members.

Not right now. 90% of builds are retail right now and they're way behind. It'll be a year until dealerships start seeing a net positive at the end of each month as far as inventory levels go.
Any word on Super Duty?
A long time. lol

Probably 5-6 months.

They've already closed MY22 fleet orders for Super Duties.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any idea what happens to all the 2021's that's been sitting in storage?
LOL

What magical 2021s do you speak of?

They've been getting finished and shipped out a handful at a time for the last few months. There isn't a huge influx of inventory coming.

Users who are viewing this thread