car bogging! :(

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
Hey guys I got a few questions for anyone that can help. My car is bogging especially in 3rd gear. Weird thing is, it only does it sometimes?! Also, the ac does a strange bubbly and hiss sound when it is being turned on and off.what could that be? Last one, the carpet on the front passenger side keeps getting wet spots? I've never seen that happen to a car so if anyone has a clue to what it could be let me know! Please and thanks to any info given!

NitrousExpress

Established Member
Hissing of any kind from the a/c usually means a leak. My car kept doing this, it would leak freon out until the a/c wouldn't work anymore. Was a schraeder valve leaking.

-Garrett

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Wet spots are usually caused by windshield or heater core leaks.

The hissing sound is probably coming from the vacuum acuated regualator door or the a/c system but it's indicative of a leak. If the a/c is working fine it's not leaking.

The bogging in 3rd gear is hard to diagnose without first driving the car. Have you done the "basic" maintenance stuff like replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the MAF, etc.?

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
I'm gonna clean the maf and replace the fuel filter in the weekend. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

The ac works fine. It even does the sounds when the car is off. Is that still because of a leak?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I bought my 01 new and it's made those AC noises since day 1 but still works perfect 12 years later. I'm pretty sure its just bleeding extra vacuum off as that's how it moves the blend door. We're you having cooling system problems? Think you just found the cause. Do the wet spots smell like coolant? Probably a heater core.

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
No the wet spots dont smell like coolant. The wet spot is always in the same area. Its not all over the car. I'm replacing the fuel filter tomorrow and hopefully that will stop the bogging problem.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What are you doing when it bogs? Are you sure you're just not in the wrong gear? The 4.6's don't have a lot of low end grunt.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Mods to car?

Last time you changed plugs?

What octane do you run?

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Do you run with your TCS off? I was a retard when I first got my Cobra, I would leave the TCS on and try to downshift only to have the engine bog down, as soon as I made a habit to turn it off, never again happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread