Car audio guys...

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
I just picked up an 05 F150 XLT SuperCrew. The stock 6 disk changer and stereo system in general pretty much suck, even compared to the Mach 460 that was in the 96 Mystic and 99 Cobra I had.

Generally speaking... what do you normally replace first? Speakers or head unit? I don't really care to get into adding subs and what not, but something has definitely got to get better.

Requirements for the HU is just that it's touch screen and has USB capability for a flash drive. I don't need GPS, DVD, or anything. Bluetooth would be nice but not required. I listen to pretty much nothing but rock. From heavy stuff to mellow alternative when the gf is with me.

Going to be on a bit of a budget, but here's what I'm looking at.

Head unit : Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Speakers : Rockford Fosgate Prime R1682 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

That being said, what should I get first? 2 sets of speakers or the head unit?

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I would get the head unit. Speakers are no good without something to push them. Then again, head unit is no good without good delivery. Regardless, I would get the head unit first and get speakers after. Consider a nice amp too, you usually won't get a big difference from a head unit alone.

verbal

Established Member
If it were me I would buy the speakers and an amp and eventually replace the headunit. It is going to sound like garbage until you replace the speakers and you will need an amp with either the stock or aftermarket headunit.

CharlieR

Established Member
Changing either the speakers(better quality) or the head unit(more, cleaner power) will give better sound. I personally would change the head unit 1st because of the extra features they include. Then change the speakers, and maybe(without a doubt) an amp. :beer:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I dont know much about the current H.U.'s, but I know more than enough about everything else. Whats your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread